BSOD, black screen, now dead

I have an HP 6200n system running Vista Home Premium. I had increasing problems with getting the BSOD and could not identify the problem, until eventually I got Vista's black screen, which I was able to get past a few times with ctrl-alt-del. Then I only got some BIOS error and it seems now even BIOS won't boot. I removed the hard drive and mounted it as a second drive in another system. I have run AV software on it and checkdisc without apparent problems. This PC was under a desk on the carpet with a lot of dust and did have dust packed into the fins on the heat sink so it may have been an overheating issue. At this point I thought if I download the .dmp files maybe someone would have an idea as to whether I have a salvageable system or a giant doorstop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Mini083011-01.dmp
    152.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini083011-02.dmp
    128 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini083011-03.dmp
  • Mini083011-04.dmp
  • Mini083011-05.dmp
First, dust will cause serious heat issues that will shut a system down fast.

Second, the single most important issue cited for you is corrupted memory. Try taking one stick out and running your PC and then switch out and run it with the other one. What are the results?

Thanks for the quick reply. So I replaced the hard drive back in the problem system, removed all but one RAM stick, and the thing is completely dead. I mean nothing...no switch illumination, no hard drive or fan activity......nada. So I expect something got too hot and failed.

Thanks for the quick reply. So I replaced the hard drive back in the problem system, removed all but one RAM stick, and the thing is completely dead. I mean nothing...no switch illumination, no hard drive or fan activity......nada. So I expect something got too hot and failed.

That is actually a good solid diagnostic approach that you did. I would agree that something has failed and either it is the psu and/or the motherboard.

Thanks for your help. Glad the hard drive works in my other system so I've still got my data. This was a good lesson in keeping electronics clean & cool.

Thanks for your help. Glad the hard drive works in my other system so I've still got my data. This was a good lesson in keeping electronics clean & cool.

If you can, I would test the power supply to see if that is where the issue lies. A digital multimeter will do the job for around $20 - $25. Both Sears Craftsman and Radio Shack have nice ones.

A bad psu will cause all kinds of issues and damage other hardware.

PSU tested ok. The power switch turned out to be bad, but even after shorting past it, system won't turn on. ?motherboard failure. Not worth dealing with it. To the recycler she goes!!

Back