BSOD - can't read screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'm getting a BSOD for about one second with a reboot. I tried using FN/Pause to read the BSOD but it isn't working. My BSOD doesn't have very many lines on it - only about 4 or 5. Does anyone have any commands I can try?

Operating system is XP Pro.

Thank you.

It should have recorded some MiniDumps from the Bluescreens but I doubt it if they were only on for a second, could you post them if any on here as attachments or use Windows Debugging Tools by following this link and read them yourself again if there are any MiniDumps and post back if you don't understand them - http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

Otherwise I'm not sure what you could do.

Are you just asking to turn off automatic restart on bsod?

If so:

Right click on My Computer
Advanced Tab
Settings (under Start and Recovery)
Untick, automatically restart
Apply ok

No, I will change the automatic settings after I get the computer up and running - thanks for your instructions.

I think my laptop can't find the operating system - I've tried FN/Pause but it appears that the computer is not recognizing any commands.

What about Safe Mode?
(Repeatively pressing F8 key before Windows Startup)

In Safe mode can you got to c:\windows\minidump to confirm if a Minidump exists?
Note you can also run System Restore from here

Please try all the options in the F8 Menu
If you are able even to get to Safe Mode Command prompt, you could try Check Disk
chkdsk c: /r
The above command can also be used in the Recovery console (R) from using the Windows CD

Also, it would be helful to provide your System Specs in your Profile (Including Hardware and Windows version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back