BSOD/Computer restarting

craZy18gurl

My computer had been acting strangely. It started last night, I was watching a video on Youtube and had a couple of other tabs opened as well in Internet Explorer. Suddenly, I get the message that IE has stopped working. After that, everytime I opened IE, I continuously recieved the same message and at one point recieved a BSOD.

This morning, I've while I was cleaning up/scanning my computer, I began to recieve the blue screens again. They go rather quick but I saw that one mentioned 'Memory Management'.

I thought I was infected with a virus or something 'cuz there's something eating up my memory as well.

Everytime I open my antivirus (avast!), I recieve another blue screen or the computer restarts. My spyware (SUPERantispyware) keeps telling me it has encountered a problem and thus won't run, it was able to find one corrupted file and fixed it.

I ran a CHKDSK on my C drive, it got nothing (actually I'm not even sure if it was scanned properly), my D drive found some errors and claimed to have fixed them, and my third and last drive I was even able to scan properly 'cuz my computer would restart.

There have been as well many other sorts of errors like 'Windows Manager has stopped working' and at one point My Computer wouldn't open up until after I restarted my computer.

I will upload my minidump files in one moment, in fear of my computer restarting again or there being another BSOD, I want to get this thread posted first.

EDIT: Ok so I'm having a lil' trouble uploading the minidump files. It tells me I don't have permission to view these files. Can anyone tell me how I can get around that?

In light of the symptoms you have given us do the following.

A. Back up everything that is essential because your harddrive may be failing, but this is pre-cautionary. Find the make of your harddrive, go to the manufacture's website and download and burn their free harddrive diagnostic utility. Do both short and long tests; especially the long.

B. We need to test your memory for possible corruptionj by using the free and safe Memtest.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

I'm currently running the Memtest, it's not finished but it's already brought up over 26 errors.

I only have one RAM stick so I believe it's safe to say the solution would be to replace my RAM?

Yes: no need to run it any more. Any errors under memtest means you need to replace it. There is no way to fix bad memory. What OS are you running?

Also, I still urge you to do option A that I posted as well.

I'm running Windows 7.

Oh and yes I forgot to mention that. Before performing the Memtest, I went ahead and downloaded the appropriate utility for my harddrive and both the long and short tests were passed.

If your RAM is a lone 2 gig stick that is fine and recommended for your Windows 7 32-bit. If it is only one gig then you should seriously consider 2 gigs of memory.

And, you're welcome. :)

Back