BSoD Confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

I have been having problems recently which I have researched as much as I could without replacing parts but I have had no success, so I am here to ask someone with a bit more knowledge if they know what the problem is.

I have had blue screens occuring more and more over the past few weeks. My old HDD was full and worn out so I bought a new 500gig to see if starting fresh would help. I was able to put Windows XP on it, a few days later I was updating to SP3 when I got many errors again. I tried to repair Windows XP back to before installing SP3, but now I go through the setup proccess and once it gets to 100%, it blue screens with the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 0x50 BSoD.

Everything I have looked at and what people have told me is faulty ram, or my motherboard is on its way out. Both are approximatly 4 years old and well worn. I tried different RAM sticks, but the problem still persisted. Do I need a new motherboard, CPU and RAM? Does it sound like my PSU (AcBel 510watt) is underpowered?

My setup is;
Windows XP Home Edition
Pentium D CPU 2.66GHz (2 CPU's)
Acbel 510watt PSU
Intel Desktop board D102GGC2
1gig DDR2 533MHz RAM
500gig HDD
8600GT Graphics card
DVD-ROM drive
2 Case fans
+ 2 fans connected directly to MB
Wireless router card

All parts except MB, CPU and RAM have been replaced from the original system I had.
I am a gamer (strong games such as Lord of the Rings Online), so I have been told my games could have worn out my MB and RAM.
I cannot get any information off my HDD such as minidumps because it no longer has an OS (it crashed during setup so now I need to repair it, but I can't get through the process without a BSoD). I have also tried two different WindowsXP setup discs to see if one was corrupt.

If anyone could say what it sounds like, or what I can try, it would be most appreciated.

Reply if you need anymore information about error messages etc and I will remember best I can.

Cheers.

First, here is a definition of your error - 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Is this a pre-built system or did you or someone else build it?

Second, for your system the wattage output of your PSU is more than enough. However, I personally have never heard of that PSU and I wouldn't trust it. If indeed your psu is going you'll have all kinds of issues because a psu is the backbone of any system. If you know someone who has a digital multimeter they could read your psu and if it is delivering the voltage properly.

Third, it could be your motherboard and/or RAM. But we don't have enough information to go on at this point. One thing I am certain of is NO game is going to wear out a MB/RAM. Whoever suggested this is someone I would not listen to when it comes to computer hardware advice. :D

Test your memory with Memtest. See this link and follow the steps: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html The rule is let it run for a minimum of 7PASSES. Any error and you got corrupted memory that has to be replaced.

As for memory and gaming under XP 2 gigs is the standard.

Alright. I will try replacing the motherboard and getting at least 2gigs of ram into it. Would it be wise to replace the CPU as well?

What kind of information do you need to determine wether its a MB/RAM problem?

I will attempt a memtest run when I have time also.

I will also try a different PSU as I do not have or know someone who has a digital multimeter.

I recieved my system pre-built approx 4 years ago, but since then I have replaced parts and changed case's.

I can just say that the blue screen occurs at the same time everytime I try to install Windows XP.

Okay, I did not realize your motherboard only handles 1 gig of RAM so I wouldn't do anything as radical as getting a new motherboard.

My best advice is to save up for a new system.

However, right now we need to know if you can boot into Safe Mode.

If I bought a new MB (inc CPU and RAM), there would be a new system right there - I have bought all the other parts within the last year.

I cannot boot in safe mode. When I had an O/S on my HDD, I tried to boot safe mode and it either restarted itself, blue screened, or displayed something repeated like this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\ etc (note this isnt MY crash but similar to this example I have.)

And so I find the exact problem on a website:

"BSoD during Windows Setup", to which the only cause it gave me was 'may be caused by faulty RAM'.

Temporarily removing my graphics card, and trying other sticks of RAM didn't change anything, so perhaps it is linked to my MB.

I am sorry, I would just like to solve the problem without paying to leave it at a shop overnight.

=)

Go back to my post where I link you to a thread about Memtest. The good thing is this test kicks in long before the Windows load screen even begins. It actually starts a second or two after you boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back