BSOD everytime. Computer will not boot at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

clgunter

I have already posted once with no replies. I will try to provide more info.
I am working on this computer for a friend. When I tried it the first few times it would freeze on black screen with cursor. I kept trying to start and finally booted to windows. I was able to update the anti virus software and run a scan. It found some infections and removed them. I also got all latest updates for XP. There was also the dreaded fake virus software installed PAV.EXE that I could not remove. I downloaded the MS malware removal tool and ran. After doing all the above I was asked to restart for changes to take effect. The BSOD started and computer will no longer start at all. Windows will try to start you can see the windows splash screen and then desktop with no icons. BSOD will then appear and reads the following:
Stop message driver irql not less or equal
stop 0x000000D1 followed by the 4 parameters than are different everytime you restart.
I cant boot into safe mode either.
What can I do?

You have a hardware issue, perhaps complicated by a bad previous install.
Boot to your Windows install disk, and remove the partition. Reboot and reinstall the partition. Cold boot to format and install Windows. Then install your chipset. Go from there.

So you are saying to reformat and start all over.
I can boot to safe mode with command propt but keyboard would not work.
Any other ideas?

The best fix is a full reboot and reinstall.
Of course, if you have valuable data to rescue, then that is not the best option... untill you save what is important to you. I would use a new hard drive.

Hold on, you may not need to re-install yet!

You're problems are a nasty piece of spyware called Personal Anti-Virus which I have encountered on several customers. You attempted to remove it but it caused corruption. If getting into Safe Mode doesn't work (I think you said it didn't) then I would try a Windows Repair next. Only if that fails then a re-installation is necessary.

Repost if you need help with the Windows Repair.

-- Andy

Thank you for the reply. You may be on to something. That is the software I was trying to remove. I tried to do a repair but it ask for a administrator password which I dont have. Do you know how I can proceed?
Thanks again

You picked the wrong repair! You skip the first one and select the second one.

When you boot from the Windows installation CD, it prompts you if you want to install Windows or do a "repair using Recovery Console". Do NOT select this repair and instead select to install Windows. Then it will eventually (after some other screens) ask what type of installation you want and one of them will be a "windows repair". This is the one you want.

Repost if you need more help.

-- Andy

Problem solved. That personal anti virus was nasty.
My friend said there was nothing on the computer he couldn't replace.
So I blew it out and did a fresh install.
Works like new again.
Thanks for the help.

Clifford

Part of your job is to provide information that helps other users... so could you tell us what this problem was: "...Problem solved. That personal anti virus was nasty..."
As it is, there is nothing definitive that another user could apply to his or her computer problem..

Sorry I'm new at this.
I will try to explain in more detail.
The computer that I was working on booted one time to windows. I updated the antivirus protection and all windows updates. After that I did a full scan with the AVG software it found a few tgrojans and a couple of files one being PAV.EXE. The software would not remove it. You could stop the process but would return.
I downloaded windows malicious softwre removal tool and ran that. When that finished the computer asked to restart. That is when the trouble started. I got the BSOD everytime. I ended up reformatting and doing a clean install and that took care of the problem.
I'm not sure what happened. I was fooled into thinking it was a hardware issue based on the code given on blue screen. (See earlier post). Maybe when trying to remove that virus it scammbled some settings, I'm not sure.
Hope this can help someone.
Thanks for the feedback as I am always willing to help if possible.
Clifford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back