BSOD graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

medrb

Hello everyone
Ive been having problems with my Graphics card driver it keeps throwing up
NVLDDMKM.sys 0x00000116 bsod error, I have tried uninstalling the device driver reinstalling it tried different versions with no luck
My spec is as goes

Abit ip35 pro
INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600
OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-8500C5 1066MHz SLI-Ready
Asus GeForce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3
Vista Ultimate SP1

Any help would be really appreciated and if you need anymore info please ask
Thanks

All minidumps cited the 0x116 error and the same Nvidia driver that you posted. It seems you are not alone as many people are experiencing this same error with their Nvidia card and Vista, whether 32-bit or 64-bit.

It appears to be a Nvidia driver issue. Here is a link with links that might lend knowledge or a work around. I'd be contacting your graphics card tech support or look on the Nvidia forums.

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t39970.html

Thanks for the quick reply Route44, I have been searching everywhere for some more info sadly it seems that people are just waiting for a hotfix either from nvidia or microsoft seems strange that my system has been working fine since i built it back in march.Hope somebody else has got some ideas as this is starting to get on my nerves, Thanks in advance to anyone that reply's

Hello lookinAround the Driver from nvidia i installed is the latest one version 175.19 ive tried the latest one from asus i cant remember the version of that but still the same aswell thanks. Also i dont know if this makes any difference but i added an external hdd a wd my book and that seems to be when the restarts started i dont know if thats just coincidence or what it was connected through firewire and now is connected through esata ive left it switched off for now to see if thats anything to do with it. Searching around i found information saying that the graphics is the last thing to write to the monitor when there is an error so the blue screen sees it as a graphics fault when it could be what happened just before the blue screen maybe the external drive any thoughts on this would be great thanks

Darn. Was a "shot-in-dark" suggestion yesterday just cause based on when the driver was released and when you built it

And a couple other thoughts tho they are also "shots-in-dark" tho might have some better odds. In any case, your choice to try 'em

I see you did this to some extent (maybe already done) but when testing this problems i'd figure out ANYTHING (like that external drive) that isn't absolutely needed to test in the environment you need for the card. If it's not too much a pain.. i'd physically remove those devices vs. just power down

Are you familiar with Ghost Devices and Ghost Drivers? When trying to install new drivers i'd first go into device manager to find if there are any old nvidia fragments or drivers still around. and remove them (Ghosts are drivers which are installed but their device isn't connected so you normally don't see them.) click here I know the KB only says its for XP but is the same and works for Vista too. also advice make the change in Environment Variable. Then it's permanent.

Does it happen with you for just certain games

Skimmed thru this one page. Not sure how applicable for your case (skimmed thru didn;t check all the details) but you maybe find it useful.. and note link at very end of thread

And.... i don't know exactly what's involved or options as buying a different card (and what it means it terms of money.. but my knee jerk reaction is "damn! there's an awful lot of people with this friggin problem and it goes back for awhile. Yet still no fix??! so maybe consider how plausible to just ditch it and get something else.

g'luck

Keep us posted

Thanks again lookinaround i have been running steadily now for about 8hrs thats just with the external hard drive turned off, In answer to when it happens its when the pc is idle like when im not at it i come back to it and its got the dreaded bsod its really just that random, And to think of ditching and getting another graphics card seems abit extreme to say the least, If the problem is that widspread then i think nvidia and microsoft should pull their fingers out.
I am starting to think though that it may be to do with my external hdd cause it aint happened with it switched off does it say anything on the minidumps about the external hdd? I will keep you posted thanks

No, the minidumps didn't say anything about your external harddrive. But if you are getting no BSODs when it is turned off (correct?), then I would see whow your system hyandles it being turned off for 24-48 hours.

Let us know if you continue to get stability or not by doing so.

I am starting to think though that it may be to do with my external hdd cause it aint happened with it switched off does it say anything on the minidumps about the external hdd? I will keep you posted thanks

as Route44 noted, hd suggestion not based on mini-dumps. just experience on "good things to try" since this seems sufficient is good. but if problem does reoccur otherwise re-read my post to consider if anything else can be shutdown. AND if possible even better to physically disconnect (vs connected but powered down) but so far so good so i wouldn't change ur current test setup unless u have problems again.

And to think of ditching and getting another graphics card seems abit extreme to say the least, If the problem is that widspread then i think nvidia and microsoft should pull their fingers out.
depends on situation sometimes... i noted the date of the thread Route44 provided re:people comlaining about this was june, 07. I saw a new driver out a year later. yet today almost Oct, 08. Still no fix. So i would expect a fix too... but when? but if you're good to keep waiting is whatever works best for someone.

And one last note, if this DOES fix the problem, note it doesn't mean HD is the problem. It just "participates" in the problem. It could be HD or could be HD is doing everything "legal" but when running it causes a legal condition that nVidia should handle but doesn't. Tho bottom line, first big step, is knowing that's one way to avoid problem and get your graphics!@

Thanks lookinaround i aree with you about the hdd just participating in the problem with the graphics card i will see how long i can keep my system stable and then see if i can replicate the problem and go from there, Thanks again to you both and i will keep you posted

Hello again
Its been over 24hrs pc seems to be going good ive now switched the external drive back on and so far so good,The only thing that i did before this little test was to install the graphics card driver by booting clean seems it might have done the job, I think that the problem must lie down to conflicting drivers in vista but who knows. Thanks again for your help and if anything else happens i will post again THANKS

Thanks for getting back to us. Nvidia drivers and Vista have had several issues since this OS' release.

Hello again
Its been over 24hrs pc seems to be going good ive now switched the external drive back on and so far so good,The only thing that i did before this little test was to install the graphics card driver by booting clean seems it might have done the job, I think that the problem must lie down to conflicting drivers in vista but who knows. Thanks again for your help and if anything else happens i will post again THANKS

btw.. when you said you did a "clean" re-install.. just was curious to know for reference if that also included removing ghost devices from Device Manager (i posted about earlier) or if you achieved your result without checking for any ghost devices

Hello i wasnt too sure about the ghost devices so i used driver cleaner pro which probably got rid of the ghost devices too, Im still running smooth after nearly 24hrs with the hdd on,I dont know what exactly fixed the problem but im glad its fixed (touch wood) Thanks again

Hello again since my last post i havent had the same error but i have started getting 0x101
This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval ive googled alot to find info but no fix can anyone help please

Thanks Route44
Had a little play with some settings in the bios as the link suggested and it seems fine so far just wondered if it would be safe to put the core voltage upto 1.4550 as i have an overclocking guild which came with the bundle i bought from ocuk and it says to put it to 1.4525 but the bios doesnt have that option the nearest option is 1.4450 then straight upto 1.4550, Also whats the best cpu burn in programm to use to test my cpu. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back