BSOD hair removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Built a computer for wife and recently started getting blue screens and I am trying to figure out why. I am sending the dump file information in the hopes others with more knowledge can give directions on how to proceed. Right now I am running memtest86 on individual sticks for 7 passes looking for errors.

thanks, Bob

You are doing right by running memtest because twwo of your errors are 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and these are very strong indicators of corrupted memory. The description is as follows:

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

Looks like Memtest was the place to start. (per Route 44)

The first two dumps point to a game (Sims2EP9.exe). Since games are resource intensive... these events may be related.

I did find other resources by googling Sims2EP9.exe and bsod.
But lets see your memtest results. Good luck.

(Route44 - We cross posted again... so I editted)

One stick with errors

OK found one that seems bad. Right now I am running with just two sticks. Can I use three untill I get a replacement? Also is there a way to read the information about the error that memtest generates? It has lowest error address and highest also bits in error mask and a few other things as well. I guess I was looking for verification of the error in the memory.

Bob

Bob, if you are getting errors on the screen as it scans your stick that is all the verification you need. As for the information pertaining on what type of errors I can't help you there, but I am sure this information is some where.

And, yes, you should be able to run your system with only 3 sticks, but 2 should do you fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back