BSOD help

dev909

hey

the other day i noticed a file that i didnt download in my download folder. so me being a ***** clicked it without anti-virus up, and i got a bsod. i tried going into my bios to reformat my hdd, but its not there, memtest is not working for me, restoring windows caused it again, and it froze up backing up files then trying to restore. Currently im running Ubuntu off a disc, so i dont think its a hardware problem. I do not know what to do.

heres my specs if it helps:

Athlon X2 II 2.8 GHz
4GB RAM DDR5
XFX ATI HD Radeon 5770 1GB
640GB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium

Can somebody please help me?

Please try to keep in mind that we are all volunteers here. We try to give as much time as we can, when we can.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

yeah im sorry....ive been kinda edgy since this happened.

and no i can't, that was the first thing i tried, but it also gave me a bsod. what if i completely wiped the hdd?

Do you know how to slave a harddrive into another system? Or do you have a friend that has some working PC tech knowledge?

I do not know what you mean. I have a friend thats alittle better at this stuff than me, but i dont think he heard of it either. Every one i asked so far told me to wipe and reformat my HDD, which im currently getting rid of the first partition.

edit: wait do you mean take the HDD out of my system and into another system?

a bSOD technically is a windows error so your os is there somewhere it may not be bootable. I'd wipe it completely and reinstall. first you'll need to backup all your files you can do that from the Ubuntu live cd that you are using now. you'll spend more time fixing the issues after they appear if you patch it up.

yeah i got my files backed up, im just wiping the first partition now.

edit: last thing....is there a way i can queue the terminal? like queue ' sudo wipe /dev/sda2' and ' sudo wipe /dev/sda3' after the first partition wipe? just curious..

Wiping a harddrive is one way of doing it and starting over. Or you can take your harddrive, slave it into another system and from that system access your harddrive to run harddrive diagnostics, security scans, etc.

naa i think im going to wipe it anyway. BTW it should only take one pass at each partition to wipe it right?

Back