BSOD in windows 8.1 - Kernel Security Check Failure

Peter11

Since rebuilding my PC I am getting constant BSOD errors & reboots. The title quote is the most common, but there are a number of other messages also.
The only items carried over from my previous PC is the Graphics card & RAM.
I have a home-built PC with the following components;
AMD A88X Crossblade Ranger Mainboard
AMD A10 7870 CPU
AMD HD7800 Graphics 2Mb onboard RAM
2 x 8 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X RAM
WD Black 1Tb HDD

Attached WinZip contains dumpfiles - hoping someone can help.....

Attachments

• OneDrive-2017-02-14.zip
    867.9 KB · Views: 3
Memtest came up all clear - 0 errors

I've also tried using the 2nd PCie slot but that hasn't worked either.

So it ran Memtest overnight (how many passes?). That being so, then next most likely is a bad or corrupt driver, though I really thought it was RAM.

Is this a clean install of Windows 8.1? Do you have a full backup or do you have a complete data files backup? (the only 'good' answer is 'yes') Do you want to try another clean install? If not, this is a good time to make a restore point.

Now run system file checker. Needs command prompt and admin privilege. I use the 'verifyonly' switch just to see the problem - and I recommend that if you are having system stability issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files

If this doesn't tell us the problem, then I'm almost out of ideas... you could try to disable all non-Windows services to see if the problem really is within Windows.

So it ran Memtest overnight (how many passes?). That being so, then next most likely is a bad or corrupt driver, though I really thought it was RAM.

Is this a clean install of Windows 8.1? Do you have a full backup or do you have a complete data files backup? (the only 'good' answer is 'yes') Do you want to try another clean install? If not, this is a good time to make a restore point.

Now run system file checker. Needs command prompt and admin privilege. I use the 'verifyonly' switch just to see the problem - and I recommend that if you are having system stability issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files

If this doesn't tell us the problem, then I'm almost out of ideas... you could try to disable all non-Windows services to see if the problem really is within Windows.

Memtest ran all 4 passes without error.
I have managed to circumvent the problem by utilising a 2nd PCie slot (lucky to have one) but in answer to your questions;
The error occurred with my 'old' HDD running Win 8.1 & also with my SSD running Win 10. I went back to 2014 using signed drivers without success. Using this as an excuse, I bought a new WD Black 1Tb drive & performed a clean install of 8.1 (my preferred version) & still had the problem. I also loaded a Nvidia card I borrowed & that ran for a while & crashed too.

Yesterday I re-built the PC using an alternative PCie slot & it works fine so far with an Oct 2016 driver installed...I'm yet to load AMD software

Since it occurs with different clean install versions, I am forced to believe it is hardware.

"Yesterday I re-built the PC using an alternative PCie slot & it works fine so far with an Oct 2016 driver installed...I'm yet to load AMD software" and I guess it crashed again...

It could be as simple as worn insulation on a wire running to a fan or a bit of conductive dirt in a slot... and the motherboard may be culprit... so it is time to take everything apart - removing motherboard from case, reinstalling CPU and HS after careful examination and renewing thermal paste...

Download BlueScreenView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html) and check your dmp files - do they still all show same memory address of failure?

On further research with the BlueScreen View program I identified the common denominator as "ntoskrnl.exe" file On running Tweakbit PC Repair it looks likely that the problem is resolved - 4 hours operation so far

Since it occurs with different clean install versions, I am forced to believe it is hardware.

Since it seems to occur in the same module (ntoskrnl) and memory location (as near as I recall), it is the same error each time.

Think what it it "NOT":
- not storage (tried 3)
- not video card (tried 2)
- not PCIe slot (tried 2)
- not OS (tried at least 2)

We discounted the possibility that it was RAM due to 4 passes... however, some folks recommend a minimum of 7 passes as a thorough test.

If the long overnight run of Memtest doesn't identify isuue, then it means motherboard/cpu. What else could it be?

If so, you'll have to contact Asus.

I have run another clean install of Win 8.1 & this time loaded my Graphics Card first & it failed, reporting error code 99.
I restarted via Troubleshoot/Advanced Options & selected #7 Disable driver signature verification - the install was successful (driver 17.2.1 10/02/2017) & the PC has been running without fault for 2+ hours. Standby for a further update tomorrow.....:)

Success at last - thanks for your advice (y)
To sum up;
  • Clean install
  • Reboot to "Disable Driver Signature Verification"
  • Search for the most recent WHQL - approved driver available
  • Continue with installation
Unfortunately I don't know what will happen should I want to upgrade my Graphics card later on.....

It will probably be easier - the AMD 7800 is just about the oldest version video card still supported by current drivers. 7600 and earlier/lesser are 'legacy'. I have been wondering if your card is on a cusp which makes it borderline for driver support.

Back