BSOD (Minidumps attached)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbadbobned

Hey all,

Hoping someone here can help.

My PC has been going to various blue screens for the last week, and increasingly so.

It happens mostly when gaming, which initially lead me to believe it was GPU related, but test on the card have shown me nothing.

Next, I read a post about the error message, which suggested it may be RAM related, and a Windows Memory Diagnostic did actually state 'Hardware problems were detected', so I did as stated in the FAQ and removed/cleaned/reinstalled the RAM modules, and re-tested several times (Memtest) which did not find any errors.

I thought it was finally fixed, until ANOTHER BSOD.....

This time an apparent HD related, which I was lead to believe was the case due to strange clicking sounds when the PC boots. However, my HD manufacturer's diagnostic and windows check disk found no errors/bad sectors, and my PC continues to blue screen.

All but a system format, I am out of options.

I installed some new software/hardware within the last 2 weeks (which I have now uninstalled)
Lavasoft Adaware
TrendMicro Housecall
TW Link Wireless USB dongle

My system is as follows:
CPU- Intel C2D E6750
Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-N650i-SLI
RAM- 2GB OCZ / 2GB GEIL (PC6400)
HDD- Western Digital WD Caviar SE (WD5000AAJS)
GPU- Nvidia 8800 GTS 512mb
PSU- ATX built in 650watt
OS- Windows Vista Home P-32bit.

You have tthree different errors:

Two are 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

One simply cited hardware but the other gave the probable cause as the Nvidia driver nvlddm.sys.

One error is 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and are strong indicators of corrupted memory. Sometimes they can be caused by drivers. It simply listed an OS driver as the cause and these are too general to be of much help.

The remaining two errors are 0xA and these are either caused by hardware or faulty drivers. Both specifically cited memory corruption as the probable cause.

1. How long did you run Memtest (# of PASSES)?

2. Is the memory you have installed recommended for your motherboard as per Gigabyte?

3. You are running two different brands of memory. Are their CAS timings the same and are their voltage requirements the same?

4. Have you tried just running 2 gigs of memory at any time?

5. Did your BIOS set the voltage of your memory at the required specs?

6. 32-bit OS's will only recognize 3.5 gigs of RAM. Just F.Y.I.

Thank you for the swift reply.

I ran memtest for roughly 2 hours, at which point no errors occoured and I aborted.

I have been running the RAM on this system for 16 months to date with no problems as to now. The CAS timings are identical (5-5-5-15). I have not tried taking half the sticks out, as I ran a diagnostic on each individual stick to check for errors.

The RAM voltage (as stated by CPU-Z) is at 1.8v, but I believe from reading the OCZ/Geil website the specification says 2.1, although this seems high.

I am starting to think it may be the graphics card's memory, as during ATI tool artifacts scan it starts receiving errors in the mhz of the memory section almost straight away.

I am going to try a video memory stress test I found at major geeks.com

Yes, that is a good one. Think back to the 0x50 error definition. It can be due to corrupted video RAM. Also, that voltage is not high if that is the designed spec for said RAM.

We have seen quite of few memory corruption errors here in 2009 that was not due to bad RAM but incorrect voltage settings.

Just completed a full test, which 'found too many errors, try unchecking Ignore Colours bit mask'... So I clicked it, and redid the test, 0 errors found.

Stumped.

Will try to bump the RAM up to design spec voltage.

I believe "Colours bit mask" is critical to the function of your video card. I googled it and I suddenly found myself not in Kansas anymore. It is beyond my knowledge but one thing I gleaned is that one function is pixels and the color display.

My suggestion is to rerun the utility and checki "Ignore Colours bit mask." Getting errrors again? It sounds like you need to contact Nvidia tech support.

So I bought myself a new graphics card, finally concluding that it was my GFX memory gone to pot.... only today, to get another IRQ BSOD.

Attached minidump from today.

I'm totally stumped.
Downloading Windows 7 Pro 64 now, hopefully its a driver related issue with Vista and the clean OS will bring me better luck.

Any other thoughts that might point toward this being a hardware malfunction?

An 0xA error (caused by either hardware or drivers) citing a Windows OS driver which really lends little help.

Question: Were you doing anything in particular when this BSOD occured?

Playing computer games =/

I have just installed Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit (and wow what a difference).

Just updating drivers/software etc. Will report back if problem continues.

Fresh install did nothing.

PC still goes to blue screen frequently.

After another memory related blue screen I ran Memtest and Windows memory diagnostic through the night. Memtest finished 8 times without error (11 hours), however Windows Memory Diagnostic said there were problems detected, but froze/crashed and did not boot windows for me to see the report.

I was made redundant last week and purchasing new hardware if I'm not sure it is that piece of hardware is not an option for me.

0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related. If this occurs while installing Windows, also check the Windows system requirements including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system.

Are you able to get your hands on another video card and temporarily install it on your system? I doubt your issue is with any OS.

So I bought myself a new graphics card, finally concluding that it was my GFX memory gone to pot.... only today, to get another IRQ BSOD.

Attached minidump from today.

I'm totally stumped.
Downloading Windows 7 Pro 64 now, hopefully its a driver related issue with Vista and the clean OS will bring me better luck.

Any other thoughts that might point toward this being a hardware malfunction?

Yes, the new graphics card is installed....

Only while gaming, but then I have nothing installed on the computer but 2 games.

The games are however substantial. Both 8+ GB in size.
It must be Hard-Drive, or RAM....... right? Test reveal nothing.

Let's approach this from a different angle. Have you updated your video card drivers? The reason I ask is because we have found that the majority of BSODs and gaming is often due to vid drivers.

Please excuse the following if you know how to do it.

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Yes, the old card is an Nvidia, the new ATI.

Memtest just found the following:

I'm not familiar with Memtest86, but it is quite apparent there are errors.
What should I do next?

Ah ha! Now it is time to test each stick individually. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you can stop the test and know that that RAM stick is corrupted. There is no way to fix, only replace.

Ok, so I spent 2 days thoroughly testing each individual stick of RAM. 2/4 reported errors, and have been removed. I also tested each DIMM slot to check it wasn't the motherboard. No problems there.
So, problem solves, or so I thought.
After only an hour of gameplay another blue screen!

I can't attach the minidump because apparently its over 200kb. How do I cut it down?

Under Manage Attachments there is a Zip option which will compress that file so you can attach it on your next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back