BSOD + Minidumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocker

Hi
I'm really desperate about my MSI notebook. Every few hours it crashes with BSOD 1000007f, parameter1 00000008.

Specifications:
MSI Notebook EX600
Intel Core2 Duo T5250 1.5 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G
System memory 1 GB DDR2 667
Windows XP SP2 Build 2600 5.1.2600

It crashes randomly every few hours, this problem exists for months (from the day I installed windows) with no solution found. The computer is under warranty, I brought it twice to MSI labs but was told the problem is software oriented.

I attached 3 minidumps, any help will be greatly appreciated!

You still have you "Windows" disc? If so: put it in the machine and operate as if you are going to re install your O.S. The only thing different that you will want to do is to select "repair the current installation".....when the disc gets to the point of partitioning, choosing how you want to divide your hard disc into partitions, etc. Don't do any partitioning.....select the repair choice and follow instructions. It seems that with Windows installation discs there are some confusing points that can lead you astray. For instance, when you first insert your disc, the question of 'repair' will come up really soon or right away. The only problem here is that if you make that choice @ the very beginning of the disc, it won't go in to a repair mode for some reason. You can try it, but you will probably have to act as though you are doing an install....then select 'repair' later. I hope that the repair function of your program fixes any corrupt issues.

Thanks for your answer pdyckman.

I forgot to mention that I've already tried solving the problem by formating the hard-drive and re-installing windows. However, the problem still exist and the BSOD keeps showing.
As far as I understand doing a repair will have the same effect as the re-install, won't it?

All three minidumps point to the same driver: fwdrv.sys and this is a driver for Sunbelt's firewall.

I know your pain well. I have had five different versions of their firewall and regardless of their latest release I would still get crashes with this particular driver. It was what drove me to TechSpot in the first place and why I now read minidumps. It wasn't until I let the license run out and it reverted to the free version which has no HIPS and stability returned. Lousy HIPS implementation.

Believe it or not they had no answer to this issue and their very own tech support said so. I've got the emails to prove it.

Try updating to the very latest version. There are those experiencing no problems with it. If not try Online Armor free or $. Or you can try Comodo 3.0 which is also free.

Wow i'm in shock, didn't even think that option is possible since the exact same version is installed on my two other PCs.

I uninstalled Sunbelt's fireewall right away, and I'll wait some time to see if the BSOD are really gone. Anyway I will update here with results.

Thank you so much Route44! months of frustration might be finally over...

Great! And we thank you for posting back and telling us it has been resolved. Too many fail to do so, so posts like yours are much appreciated.

What was your final resolve? Did you uninstall and then choose another firewall or did you update to their latest version?

Sorry for the long delay...
The problem occured with two different versions of the firewall: an older one, which was released before Sunbelt bought Kerio's firewall, and a newer one (from last year).
Consequently, I'm not sure whether it's worth trying more versions, so I decided to give up on Sunbelt.
I was so delighted about the fact my notebook works steadly for the first time since I bought it, that I left it with no firewall installed.
It still connects the net through my router, which is supposed to give some kind of defence (I hope)...

Try Online Armor's free version. It gives tremendous protection and has the highest of ratings and works great with XP.

Never heard about that firewall so I googled it and found some tests in which, like you said, it got amazing scores - much better than sunbelt's. I'll install it later today.
As a result of its amazing scores, maybe I'll even install it at my two other PCs as well (replacing the Sunbelt).

Again - thank you for all your help!

You are welcome. If you are running paid versions on your two other systems I suggest letting the subscription run its course. They seem to be handling Sunbelt quite well. By the way, OA isn't quite ready yet for Vista (if you plan to go that route) but they are diligently working on it.

If you want to read a great place on firewalls try www.wilderssecurity.com (the official NOD32 forums) and check out their Other Firewalls forum. You'll find a great deal of information on OA and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back