BSOD on AMD X3 440 running Windows 7 with 4GB RAM in dual channel

vanderluzt

I have a system running AMD Athlon II X3 440 on MSI 880GMA-E45 motherboard with 2X2 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM (1333MHz). The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate Ed. 32bit. There were several instances of BSOD [Blue Screen of Death] on this system within a few days of assembling in the month of September. Each instance of BSOD was accompanied by an automatic system shutdown and restart and then generation of a dump file. However, I was unable to read them. I am attaching the dump files of all the BSOD instances here.

Subsequently, I ran the system on a single 2GB RAM chip for several days and it worked fine without any instance of BSOD. But when I inserted the second RAM chip, I encountered the BSOD on the second day. I consulted a colleague, who said that the memory may be running specified voltages and timings and may not be set up correctly. I ran CPUz software on the system and compared the RAM settings under the Memory tab to the settings under the SPD tab in the 667MHz column. My current settings are as under:

Memory tab:
DRAM Frequency-666.7 MHz, FSB:RAM-3:10, CL-9.0, tCRD-9, tRP-9, tRAS-24, tRC-34, Command Rate -1T

SPD tab under the 666 MHz column:
CL-9.0, tCRD-9, tRP-9, tRAS-24, tRC-34, Voltage – 1.50V

Since, the settings in both tabs are identical, I wasn't sure what changes to make. Then, I tried to compare these settings with the specifications set forth by Corsair for the particular part number of the RAM. However, when I visit the Tech Support section of the Corsair Website, the part number of my RAM [part no: VS2GB1333D4] is not listed in the drop-down menu.

Then, someone else suggested to go to the BIOS setup and set Spread Spectrum to { Disabled } and also set Auto Disable DRAM/PCI Frequency to { Enabled }. I have done the same today. In addition, today I went to the MSI Website and performed a Live Update of the BIOS drivers of the motherboard on my system. It’s been a just few hours now and I haven’t got the BSOD yet. However, I cannot be sure if this would solve the problem permanently.

It would be great if someone in this forum could analyze the attached dump files, evaluate what I have done so far, and suggest a permanent solution to the BSOD problem?

Attachments

• dump files.zip
    93.9 KB · Views: 1
Your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Thanks for the response. I will run Memtest as suggested and get back to you. Just one question though. Why is it that when I run the system on the RAM sticks individually [one stick at a time], there is no instance of BSOD. BSOD occurs only with both RAM sticks together.

Is this the case with both the sticks?

If so, chances are RAM configuration may be the issue.

Well, as I said, both RAM sticks work fine individually without any BSOD. I experience BSOD only when the system is run with both sticks together.

Ok, closely check the specifications set in BIOS then, and ensure that everything (specs/voltage) match what came on the RAM packaging.

There are no such specs on the RAM packaging! I had installed CPUz earlier and the readings on the SPD and Memory tab were the same! The readings are as follows:

DRAM frequency: 666.7 MHz
FSB:DRAM: 3:10
CAS Latency: 9
RAS to CAS Delay: 9
RAS Precharge: 9
Cycle time: 24
Bank cycle time: 34
Command Rate: 1T
Voltage: 1.50 V
Corsair Part no.: VS2GB1333D4

I could not even find any support or specs for this model of RAM [Part no.: VS2GB1333D4] on the Corsair website!

I rechecked the RAM packaging for both the sticks just now. I can make out the product code but the rest of the text seems to have faded out. Do I still need to run the Memtest as suggested earlier? Or is there something else that needs to be done? I experienced the BSOD again about 30 mins back. Please help!

As both sticks works alright (with BSODs) according to you; there is less likely that any of them is bad. It only leaves the issue with regard either settings or voltage. Try fiddling around, step by step and see does that help.

With this part number nothing comes up even at corsair's own site.

Your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

I ran Memtest 86+ on the system suggested. It ran for over 7 hrs, 45 mins and displayed 2 errors in 8 passes. I am not sure if this would mean anything, but here are the error details:

TST - 7, Pass - 3, Failing Address - 00108ccb2bc - 4236.7 MB, Good - e359e6c0, Bad - e35966c0, Err-Bits - 00008000, Count -1, Chan -

TST - 8, Pass 5, Failing Address - 001006c32bc - 4102.7 MB, Good
- b936fbd3, Bad - b9367bd3, Err-Bits - 00008000, Count - 2, Chan -

I've not performed Step 2 yet, that is run Memtest on the individual RAM sticks. Do I really need to do it? As I had reported earlier, when I run the system on the RAM sticks individually [one stick at a time], there is no instance of BSOD. BSOD occurs ONLY with both RAM sticks together.

Yesterday, I had used a software called "Blue Screen View" to check out the details of my dump files. The first 2 dump files display a bug check string "Bad Pool Caller/Header" while the remaining 4 dump files display "IRQL Not Less or Equal"

I've already updated the BIOS drivers to ver 17.6 (latest available for this board) from the MSI website but still experienced BSOD once this morning!

Could you let me know what is causing the BSOD? Are both the RAM sticks corrupt? And why is it that they run fine individually?

The BSODs are caused by your memory. Any errors recorded by Memtest means you have to replace the memory. Do Step 2 to determine which stick or sticks are bad.

@Route
Hey says the work perfectly fine when used 'individually' ........ meaning they just don't work together.

Do you think a bad RAM would work ok/stably in single module configuration?

@Route
Hey says the work perfectly fine when used 'individually' ........ meaning they just don't work together.

Do you think a bad RAM would work ok/stably in single module configuration?

That's exactly what I wanted to know. I've removed one of the RAM sticks now. And now there are no BSODs!

Are your sticks a matching pair?

Well, I am not sure what is meant by 'matching pair'. Both are Corsair DDR3 2GB sticks that came in separate packaging but with the same part number, VS2GB1333D4. As I had mentioned earlier, there is no support or specs available for this part number on the Corsair web site.

@vander

As I earlier suggested, have you tried to fiddle around with voltage? Perhaps if you incrementally increase RAM's voltage to see whether it stabilizes the system.

Back