BSOD on Compaq CQ60

Status
Not open for further replies.

bristina

Not sure if Im at the right place here.
I have my niece's laptop which Im trying to fix for her. It was having BSOD's (stop 0x0000001A) at startup, Windows update wouldnt work, cant create restore points and had 21 trojans and 186 pups (whatever they are). It is very slow to load programs as well.

What I have done.
sfc /scannow - Check disk - Defragged - run spybot/adaware/avg and microsoft malicious software removal tool until all came up clean. I have used the diagnostic tools in the CMOS on HDD and memory. I have run memtest86 v3.4 but it freezes on the second test. It did come up with 1700 errors. lol.

this is the system

. EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v5.30.1900
Benchmark Module 2.4.273.0
Homepage
Report Type Report Wizard [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Computer NAT-PC
Generator nat
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 6.0.6002 (Vista RTM)
Date 2009-11-20
Time 09:41

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x86-based PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Internet Explorer 7.0.6002.18005
DirectX DirectX 11.0
Computer Name NAT-PC
User Name nat
Logon Domain [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Date / Time 2009-11-20 / 09:41

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Celeron T1600, 1666 MHz (10 x 167)
Motherboard Name Wistron 3612
Motherboard Chipset Intel Cantiga GL40
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Micron 16HTF25664HY-667E1 2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
BIOS Type Insyde (09/04/08)

Display:
Video Adapter Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (816740 KB)
Video Adapter Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (816740 KB)
Monitor Chi Mei N156B3-L02 [15.6" LCD]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Conexant Cx20561 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-3]
Audio Adapter Intel HDMI @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-3]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2929
Storage Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Disk Drive TOSHIBA MK2552GSX ATA Device (250 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive Slimtype DVD A DS8A2S-A ATA Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) [ TRIAL VERSION ]
D: (NTFS) 9838 MB (1754 MB free)
Total Size [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB
Mouse Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Network:
Primary IP Address [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Primary MAC Address 00-1F-16-44-F7-7A
Network Adapter Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
Network Adapter Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller (10.1 [ TRIAL VERSION ])
Modem HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Peripherals:
Printer Canon MP160 Printer.

I have managed to get windows update working and have updated to SP2 . I have used BiosAgentPlus which tells me my drivers are up to date.

Im about to go out and buy a new stick of RAM, just thought I would try here first incase its another issue.
many thanks
Brian

Can you run the Compaq recovery utility and put the laptop in its original factory condition?

"I have run memtest86 v3.4 but it freezes on the second test. It did come up with 1700 errors"...

You are kidding? If not, replace the memory first

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have made several attemps at creating a recovery disc. It gets to the verifying stage on disc1 and errors out. I cant remember the error because it was a few days ago. I also dont have a XP disc -pre installed.

HP/Compaq should have a OS restore utility in the programs list... I have seen this on many laptops. This utility will format the hard drive and reinstall XP and all the programs and drivers you had, when you first bought the laptop and took it out of the box

Yes,
but you can still back up your important data first. You should have backed up already. How about changing your memory?

Ordered Kingston 800Mhz ram, wont get until Tues next week. Reformatting an old External drive as we speak, will back up to that. My niece has had this laptop for over 12mths now and has never updated/backed up or downloaded anything of relevance. It has slowly broken down by a lack of maintenance and virus protection. Im sure there are corrupted files, missing registry entries and maybe some bad memory going on here.

OK . Im trying to backup to an external HDD before I do this system restore and I keep getting VSS error. I will post the error in post 5 so I can paste it.
I noticed that the Presario volume on the HDD (9gig partition) is the only box checked in backup settings. The C/ Windows drive is greyed out.

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Backup
Date: 22/11/2009 9:29:32 AM
Event ID: 4100
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: nat-PC
Description:
File backup failed because a shadow copy could not be created. The system might be low on resources. The error is: An error was detected in the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). The problem occurred while trying to contact VSS writers. Please verify that the Event System service and the VSS service are running and check for associated errors in the event logs. (0x80042318).
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Windows Backup" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">4100</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-11-21T22:29:32.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>16460</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>nat-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>An error was detected in the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). The problem occurred while trying to contact VSS writers. Please verify that the Event System service and the VSS service are running and check for associated errors in the event logs. (0x80042318)</Data>
<Binary>18230480C0040000F10600000D070000420ED1665C2BEE174B64529CB14610EA71000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

heres a photo of the memtest screen when it froze
PB200497.jpg

Ordered Kingston 800Mhz ram, wont get until Tues next week. Reformatting an old External drive as we speak, will back up to that. My niece has had this laptop for over 12mths now and has never updated/backed up or downloaded anything of relevance. It has slowly broken down by a lack of maintenance and virus protection. Im sure there are corrupted files, missing registry entries and maybe some bad memory going on here.

When you install the new memory, do a complete Format and not a quick Format... Reinstall Windows fresh

I dont have a Vista CD, I think I have found the Compaq recovery but I dont want to do that until I can get the back up over to the external drive. I backed up one of my other computers to the drive so I know it works, its that VSS error Im getting on the laptop thats stopping me.

Ok I have my new RAM installed. I still unable to do system restore or backup. Any ideas on the VSS error. I have gone into Services and changed Volume shadow copy and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider to automatic. Which didnt work.

It may be too late to do any backing up. Have the existing hard drive removed. Install a new hard drive and have Windows loaded fresh. Place the old hard drive in a USB external enclosure and move the files you want back to the new C drive. If the CQ60 has a DVD burner, get used to backing up your important files on DVD's. It is fast, cheap and simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back