BSOD on Windows 7

mcmurphy12

Hi everyone!

A couple of weeks ago, I had a random BSOD when I was running no applications.

Tonight, I also a BSOD while running no applications. I have ran a Memtest and that came up with nothing. I have attached the two minidumps.

Murph

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    47 KB · Views: 8
The most significant error is 0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message.

The dump specifically the harddrive as the issue. Therefore back up everything NOW. You could be looking at a failing harddrive.

What is the make of your harddrive and have you ever run harddrive diagnostics before?

Well, my harddrive is a Western Digital and I have a never ran any diagnostics.

I have one of the Sandy Bridge motherboards (you know, the faulty chipset ones), and being the lazy pile I am, I haven't moved the harddrive to one of the unaffected SATA ports. Any idea if that would be the issue? I am not at home right now, so I won't be able to do anything to it until Sunday night.

Yes, it could. I would also check your SATA cable. And I would still do a harddrive diagnostics.

I am pretty sure it was caused by the SATA ports. I switched the cable around yesterday afternoon and ran a hard drive diagnostic after. The drive passed the diagnostic and I have not had a BSOD since then (they were becoming more frequent).

I had two BSOD's yesterday and I am not sure if they are related to the previous. The blue screens said something about ntoskrnl.exe. I am not at home so I cannot attach the minidumps, but I was using Microsoft Word 2010 both times. I will probably attach the minidumps later tonight, but I was wondering if you have heard of this before.

ntoskrnl.exe is a core Windows driver. I'll look at your minidumps when you attach them.

Looked at your minidumps

Hi,

I looked at the 1st minidump in the zip file (022111-41979-01.dmp) & it looks like the BSOD is pointing to SftPlayh.sys as the culprit.

Googling for the driver points to the fix: support.microsoft.com/kb/2077208.

CraniumRat.

PS: Any particular reason why you have Driver verifier turned on?
PPS: I am just learning how to debug BSODs, so please let me know if I am wrong.

3: kd> lmvm Sftplaylh
start end module name
fffff880`06200000 fffff880`0624d000 Sftplaylh T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: Sftplaylh.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Sftplaylh.sys
Image name: Sftplaylh.sys
Timestamp: Wed Dec 02 18:55:40 2009 (4B170C8C)
CheckSum: 00042CC3
ImageSize: 0004D000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

I just "Googled" sftplayh.sys. From what I read, I found that it is a driver dealing with Microsoft Application Virtualization.

I may have had Microsoft Word open on the first BSOD, but I am not sure.

The minidump I checked points to PowerPoint.

PROCESS_NAME: POWERPNT.EXE

You might have Powerpoint running in the background.

CR.

Yeah, that would make sense.

Have you ever heard of Microsoft Office applications causing BSOD's? I am using the trial version of 2010.

I guess I already have the update installed. I think I might just uninstall it. I haven't paid for it yet anyway, haha.

Back