BSOD on Windows 7

UniqueFlame

I'll try to make this short and quick, I don't want to take up too much of your time.

So first off, I'd like to apologize in advance for not performing many of the troubleshooting steps. I have in fact tried, but I'm currently stuck in a hotel in semi-rural China, so I do not have with me any resources I would normally have (no DVD's, CD's, USB's, etc.). I really am at a bit of impasse.

My laptop's been acting up, BSOD'ing at seemingly random intervals. Started about 2 days ago, I tried to clear my page files but that seemed to have deleted my old minidumps. I only have one, the one that was created from a BSOD about 5 minutes ago. I'll attach more as I BSOD more.

No hardware changes, or driver updates that I am aware of.

Here are the specifications of my laptop:

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
Motherboard: No idea, my laptop model is a ASUS N51Vn though.
Ram Speed, size and #sticks: 4GB. DDR2.
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M
PSU (do not leave this out): One again, no idea. Laptop model is ASUS N51Vn

Hope you guys can help. It's 2 AM right now. If I have time tomorrow I'll try and see if I can procure something so I can do a memtest. Chkdsk also doesn't run at boot, I googled it and it's something to do with the disk being dirty. I really have no clue.

Thanks guys.

edit: added another minidump "013012-21372-01.zip"

edit2: Did a system repair, built in system memory diagnostic test and a chkdsk from boot CD. BSOD'd about 2 hours after I performed all those steps.

Added the subsequent minidump "013012-20950-01.zip"

Attachments

• 013012-64662-01.zip
    26.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 013012-21372-01.zip
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 013012-20950-01.zip
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
This is what the minidump is pointing to:
"RAS L2TP mini-port/call-manager driver" Does this mean anything to you?

L2TP. That's the VPN protocol I'm currently using to bypass the Great Firewall of China.

edit: But that wouldn't be right, I've been using this VPN for about a month now, and it's never given me any problems. Besides, it... I don't think it uses any drivers? I may be wrong, but it's set up using what already comes with Windows 7.

edit no.2: I checked my system restore, according to that there was a critical update around the same time I started BSOD'ing. Restored to a time before that, I hope this will fix it. Should've done this earlier, my apologies. Will post update on whether or not this has been fixed.

The system restore did not fix it. I BSOD'd again. But this time there was no blue screen, my laptop just completely froze.

How did I know it was a blue screen then? When I re-open my computer this showed up:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: a
BCP1: FFFFFCC000000028
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF80003470FE7
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\013012-21372-01.dmp
C:\Users\Kesu\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-67985-0.sysdata.xml

Thanks for the reply. I've run it, and the system has rebooted. Any further instructions or shall I just wait to see if I BSOD any more?

Okay good, no more actions needed at the moment. Are just visiting China or are you a citizen of China?

Visiting ill grandparents in China, who refuse to move out and live with us in Australia. I guess I don't blame them.

I can understand... My mom who is 92, refuses to leave Los Angeles and move up here to Montana where we can take better care of her. Good luck with the computer and your trip home to that beautiful country down under :)

Ahh, yeah. Once you get use to an environment, you tend to not want to change. Anyway, I BSOD'd again.

The BSOD screen said something about ndis.sys, is that useful?

edit: Googled about ndis.sys. It was regarding the NIC drivers. So I updated them, and I haven't BSOD in the past few hours. Seems pretty good.

Sorry for the late update! I've been darting around all over China. Anyway! Problems have been fixed. The updating of the Ethernet drivers HAVE fixed my problem. Yay!

Back