BSOD recurring in Windows 7 B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shigawire

Hi, I don't know if it's acceptable to you if I post my minidumps from Windows 7 since it's a beta.

But since there is no mention of such a caveat in the pinned primers, I'll go ahead.

Description of behavior:
The BSOD sometimes happens when the computer is taxed at maximum. But sometimes not. Sometimes the ATI Catalyst driver just shuts down and restarts itself (without BSOD or reboot), the screen flickers black and I get the error message.

Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Last night the BSOD happened after I had gone to bed, without my input. When I came on the computer this morning, it had rebooted and I was on the login-screen.

I am running Folding@home-gpu as well as BOINC (proteome folding) on all 4 cores. Even then, under all this stress, the temperatures are very acceptable.

I am suspecting maybe it's power related. Maybe the UPS output is not sufficient, even though it's at maximum supplying 330 Watts - and 248 Watts on idle.
I have not yet tested running it outside the UPS.

The computer is:

Asus Striker Extreme (latest NForce Vista drivers)
Intel Extreme Quad Core QX6700 (not OC'ed)
2x1024MB DDR2 Corsair Dominator (not OC'ed, memtestx86 tested)
Asus Radeon 4870X2 (not OC'ed) - running "Prerelease WDM 1.1" drivers for W7b
Seasonic M12 700 Watt
Samsung Spinpoint 400gb 7200RPM (internal hdd)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality (latest Vista drivers from december 2008)
LG Bluray burner GGW-H20L
WD My Book 2TB ext. hdd (firewire daisychained via wd 320gb)
WD 320gb Ext. hdd (firewire to pc)

Two monitors:
NEC Multisync 1970GX (1280x1024)
Lenovo ThinkVision widescreen (1440x990)

Parapharnelia and user inputs:
Logitech DiNovo Edge wireless keyboard
Logitech MX1000 wireless mouse
Logitech Quickcam pro 9000
D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless PCI

External power sources:
APC Back-UPS CI 650VA (only computer is connected, no other devices or monitors)
APC Back-UPS ES 500VA (miscellaneous connected here)

General comments:
Overheating is not an issue. Reserator XT liquid cooling is connected to the CPU.
The stock HSF on the Asus Radeon 4870X2 is capable of sustaining manageable temperatures within its accepted range.

I'll give it a shot...

Two errors are 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

One driver cited is ha20x2k.sys and this is a Crative 20X HAL (WDM) audio driver

The other is lvrs.sys which is a Logicool Kernel Audio Improvement Filter Driver - Logicool Qcam - Logicool which belongs, if I read correctly to Logitec.

Your other two errors are 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE meaning that an attempt to reset display and recover from timeout failed.

The driver cited is atikmdag.sys which is an ATI Radeon kernel mode driver.

* If you google any of these drivers there is quite a bit on each and every one. The Radeon driver and Vista don't seem to like each other much and Windows 7 is built off of Vista (anyway, I believe it is).

Ah yeah I've read that Vista doesn't like the Catalyst drivers (yet). Hopefully ATI-AMD is working on a new driver that will inaugurate the honeymoon between Vista/W7 and Radeon.

This could be the cause.. but I am still open to other suggestions.

The ATI driver often goes nuts while playing a video it seems. Just had a BSOD while playing a video.. started with black flickering..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back