BSOD several times a week, ramdomly as far as I can tell

Sam Park

Hi Everyone!

I've been experiencing random BSODs over the last several months. I've been unsuccessful in being able to solve the problem so far. I've tried reading other peoples posts and the guides and reported below are the trouble shooting steps that I've gone through to determine the problem.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

CPU: i7 920
Motherboard: Asus P6T
Ram Speed, size and #sticks: DDR3 1600, 24 GB (6 sticks)
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 260 SC
PSU: Seasonic x750 gold
Steps I've taken:
RAM: Memtest86+ (passed)
CPU: Realtemp and Everest report it as being low temp. I have a large heatsink (CNPS12x)
Cleaning: I bought a air can and gave the computer a good cleaning!

Nice system! See if there are these bios settings, or something similar:
Under Advanced Frequency Settings, Advanced CPU Core Features
Disable C3/C6 State Support and CPU Thermal Monitor. See if this stabilizes the PC

Thanks!

I looked through my bios yesterday and I didn't find the exact settings you mentioned but it was a really brief glance. I plan to do a more through examination of all the menus today.

My main reason for posting was my computer had a very strange error that I had never seen before. It said something about a power error and informed me that it was shutting down. It proceded to close all my programs and windows and restart. I don't know if this is related but it is really suspicious.

Thanks,
Sam

You do have an older chipset than I... Yes that power something error could be related to your trouble. You could try another power supply

So I already had Intel C-state disabled (is that what you were speaking about?) I also went ahead and disabled the thermal monitor. We'll see how this works out!

Yes, I suppose the C State is the same as my C3/C6 State. Hopefully disabling these will help

So I'm still getting the BSOD at the same rate.

I went to my computer management menu and saw that I had 15 critical events in the last 7 days:

Event ID: 41 Kernel-Power (5 total)
Event ID: 10110 DriverFrameworks-UserMode (5 total)
Event ID: 10111 DriverFrameworks-UserMode (5 total)

Does that help?

My mobo is triple channel DDR3, so I assume I would start with 3 sticks totaling 12 gbs since it can't run with two!

I'll give it a shot and report back :)

Back