BSOD sometimes when the PC is booting up or after viewing a YouTube clip

My Dad has communication problems and currently needs his XP computer to take part in a clinical trial. I am over for a few days and he has asked me to sort a problem out.

His computer, an XP, has suddenly started crashing, maybe 1 time out of 10, when he turns it on, and quite often when he has just viewed a clip on Youtube.

The mini dump (is that the term?) is Bad Caller Pool and the data is as follows:

0X000000C2 (0X00000007, 0X00000CD4, 0X024C0000, 0X84A81008)

No new software has been installed, nor hardware... I presume I will need to update a driver? But I don't know what the above data is telling me. If someone on here could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

The issue is probably caused by some driver, but enable us to help you we need you to post minidumps from that system for analysis. You can find them in C:\windows\minidump.

Please zip available minidumps in to a single file, then attach it with your next post. Regards

Sorry about the delay. I had to change the settings on CCleaner so that it would no longer delete the minidumps' contents, waited for next BSOD, and here is the attached zip file.

I hope it means something to you...

Thanks.

Attachments

• Mini081210-01.zip
    20.5 KB · Views: 1
Creative audio EMU10Kx driver system driver file (e10kx2k.sys), probably this driver is freeing up same memory allocation twice. The driver you are using is dated from 2001, which is pretty much ancient times ;)

I would suggest you to uninstall your creative sound card driver, download driver sweeper from techspot's download section, and run it to remove any remaining files from un-installation process.

If the system stays stable after this, check creative's site for newest/latest driver for your sound card, and install it. Regards

Thank you very much. The creative used to be in my old computer, and I asked the shop to fix the hardware in my Dad's XP two years. It's only recently started blue screening, so not sure why it's behaved itself prior to this recent issue. But it does sort of make sense.

I have found what I think is the latest driver for this very old Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum card, on the Creative website. But I am not sure about the process of uninstalling. Could you please advise?

Do I uninstall the whole Creative thing at the Add or Remove Programmes section? Is that the driver, or will I uninstall the whole software by removing this? Maybe, in truth, I just don't fully understand what a driver is...

After I uninstall, I will do as you suggest and download the driver sweeper, but next, before installing the latest drive, will I have to use the CD which came with my Sound Blaster Audigy to set up the software again? As you can no doubt tell, I am rather confused!

Yes, uninstall the whole creative suite, I am sure there are newer version out there. Don't delete any thing manually, just uninstall using control panel, add/remove programs.

Secondly, you don't need to use that cd, once you download latest version of drivers / creative software from their site.

Oh Archean, I am in a dreadful pickle. I was trying to do what I thought you said, according to your instructions, but it went horribly wrong (my fault):

1)Went to Remove Programmes and clicked on Sound Blaster Audigy (in fact, there was no reference to Creative in the Remove prgrqmmes list)
2) Did not remove all sound Audigy files, just selected "Window drives"
3)Downloaded the sweeper, did the sweeping of "Creative", but maybe it swept away more than I bargained for??
4)Downloaded the April 2010 driver of the Sound Blaster Audigy Platiunum.

5)But when it finsihed downloading, most of parts of the Creative package had gone, although the sound came through.
6) In order to regain the parts that were missing (mixer, play centre etc) I put in the CD that cam with the hardware, and did a custom installation of these parts only.
7) I panicked and, don't ask me why, I abandoned this custom installation and did a system restore to an earlier date
8) Rebooted, and got a new blue screen that wouldn't let me go any further
9) After some cussing, went into Safe Mode from where I system restored to the point after I had downloaded the updated drivers from the website
10)Thankfully, managed to get onto my normal boot up desktop
11)Deleted all Creative files from the partial custom installation and also deleted the updated drivers I got from the website
12) Now I have no sound card drivers or anything else, just the hardware

Forgive my erraticness, please could you tell me what you think is best now. Should I put the CD in, install from there, then Remove just the "windows drivers", and take the updated drivers off the website as before, but without sweeping first?

Thank you again...!

I haven't used Creative sound cards for a while now, but I remember you could download mixer/play center package from creative as well. So, IMO you should install the latest driver according to instructions given above, and download remaining applications from creative's site for installation.

Well, I did what you said this time, and the system so far is stable *fingers crossed*.

Thanks so much for your help, you're a real samaritan, not just where I am concerned - it seems from reading thu his forum that you're saving people a lot of grief not to mention money.

Back