BSOD Vista 32-bit bccode 124 recurring error

Hi all please bear with me as I try to explain whats going on, I have an e-systems desktop running the following

Foxconn N15235 motherboard
Celeron D 3.46ghz processor
WD Caviar 160GB HDD
2 matched 2gb memory sticks 533mhz
DVD drive
Belkin 5 port USB pci card F5U220*
Generic 3d sound card*
Winfast PX8500 GT TDH 256mb graphics card*
Trust PSU 570W

I have been getting bsods for about a month but during that time no additions were made to the system, thinking it was software related I backed everything up to externals and reinstalled vista. It didnt solve the problem so I removed the pci cards marked * above and reinstalled again, no fix.

I have run memtest86 for 12 hours without picking up a fault in the RAM I then ran windows memory diagnostic tool and tested the sticks seperately and together running at least 25 passes each time only when testing one stick did I get an error and then only on one pass and I performed a test on the stick again with no error from it. Errors were

Pass 14 / WMATS+ /cache on / Ad 57484cf8 got this twice
Pass 14 / WMATS+ / on / 57c90cf8
Pass 14 / WINVC / on / 57484cf8

The above were all on one pass and never repeated in another 30 odd passes

I have removed the DVD and tried again but got bsods with it out of the case, I have downloaded the Foxconn motherboard utility and used it to update drivers and bios in case of a corruption on the mobo but after that I am still getting the bsods. I have got some codes written down from the bsods but cannot get onto the pc long enough to upload a dump onto the forum.
Every restart code is bccode 124
BCP1 is all 0's
BCP 3 is B2000000
BCP 4 is 1020080f

However BCP 2 changes for each restart and has included but isnt exclusive to

851263F0
850373F0
84D973F0
84FCE028

after not being able to save the dmp files Ive taken to writing down the codes before it bsods again.

Among some of the error messages that pop on the screen has been

Superfetch has stopped working
Host process for windows services has stopped working and
Windows Module installer has stopped working

I have done just about everything I can think of and everything I have found on the forum to try and I am getting worried that someone is going to come along and say the Mobo is fecked, can someone help I have tried to get a .dmp to upload but like I say it is so unstable even in safe mode that I havent managed to get one.

I read your minidump from the other post and your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred." As you report your have been receiving this several times.

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any. Your dump simply cited hardware as the issue and nothing more definitive.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

* If you have any hardware overclocked please put the settings back to default.

*** Even one error with memtest is one error too many. In addition, find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

* See this link: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349-stop-0x124-what-means-what-try.html

Thanks R44 I feel better that its not something obvious Ive missed, I have had a look at the ram modules and I cant see what they are supposed to be voltage wise, is there any way to tell? They're not a named brand and there is no trace online of their specs. PC2-4200 533mhz advanced module are the only markers.
I have entered the bios menu and the pc has sat happily now for about 3 hours without any problem, would this influence where the problem lies at all?

I have not over or under clocked anything and having removed all extra cards and recovering windows afterwards then updating all drivers and bios via the motherboards mfcturers website I think all the basic software is running to the best of its abilities driver wise. In Bios I looked at the cpu temp and it says 42 degs would that seem high when sitting in bios as it is?

I am always careful with cleaning and make sure the heatsink is fluffless once a month with a good blast of CA the side of the tower has been off for a few days now to make sure nothing is blocking the cooling and I have to say it doesnt feel warm at all.

One error message came back with a 1c code but even the bsods now are messing up, rather than the blue screen with white writing on I now get a black screen with blue lines/symbols on.... its the only way I can think to explain them. Could this be another clue?

Thanks r44 but its impossible, it is so unstable now it barely boots before the black screen of blue deathlike symbols comes up (that could be a new acronym - BSOBDS) I have another tower running XP which I will sort out with all the extra cards Ive got and see if it causes fatal errors at all. The specific tower thats bsods has been nothing but trouble since we had it and I shall give it a full viking burial complete with trebuchet throw once stuffed with burning rags and small field mammals.

Having said that if the xp tower develops a fault I may resurrect the other one at some point.

Back