BSOD Vista help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other night my computer was running all programs correctly and working fine, and then everything went to hell. I'm running Vista Ultimate 32-bit, on a Gateway laptop (Model ML6720 or MA8).

I tried putting in the OS DVD to see if I could reformat and reinstall the OS, but it skipped over the disk like it wasn't there and went straight to the desktop. The desktop froze on me, so I tried rebooting it in safe mode. Safe mode froze and then gave me the BSOD.

I sent it to my friend last night to see if he might have any luck, and he apparently tried to install Win XP, but then he called me back and said the machine was unresponsive. I picked it up earlier and went through BIOS and tried everything from safe mode to last known good config; the results were disgruntling: the Win XP loading screen would pop up, and then it automatically switched to BSOD with this message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Technical info: *** Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF79F8524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) "

And then it restarts. And the process just repeats; Win XP loading screen, BSOD, restart.

Anyone have any suggestions? My friend tried a reformat/reboot/reinstall via LAN, but he said that didn't work at all.

My fiance DID lose his temper the other night and slammed the lid of the laptop down, maybe he damaged the hard drive in some way that would cause these errors?

I'm completely at a loss. If I need to replace my HD, that's okay.. I'm just trying to figure out how to fix this. If you need any additional info, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance :)

Did these problems occur before or after fiance very unwisely slammed the laptop lid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back