BSOD when booting cloned Windows XP

moriarty

I think that what I am attempting may be impossible, but confirmation would save me a lot of time!

To cut a very long story short, I'm trying to clone the software that was on a Dell Inspiron 8100 Pentium 3 laptop on to an Inspiron 8200 Pentium 4 laptop. The OS is Windows XP Home SP3. It booted OK in the 8100.

On the target HDD in the 8200 I have a logical drive D, in an extended partition, containing a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro. I can boot to this with no problems, either using a boot.ini in the C primary partition, or from a floppy with boot.ini/ntldr/ntdetect.com, and I used this Win2k installation to clone the 8100 software on to C: from an external HDD enclosure, using xxclone.

The plan was to boot to the XP in C, in Safe Mode if necessary, and then to install the correct drivers. I've done similar things before, but probably back in the days of Windows 95 or 98! When I attempt to boot to XP it briefly shows the XP start-up screen, but immediately does a BSOD and re-boots. The message in the BSOD is:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7A27528,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

If I attempt to boot in Safe Mode it starts loading files, but it only gets as far as agp440.sys, and it pauses here before doing its BSOD and re-boot.

I have booted to XP recovery console and run bootcfg, fixboot, fixmbr, and chkdsk, and I've replaced ntldr and ntdetect.com and updated the BIOS.

I am betting that the problem is due to the different hardware. If so is there any way around it?

Steve.

Found that the 7B stop error is something to do with the HDD controller. This page seems to be describing my problem, and has some useful information which might get me there eventually, but it may take a while. I've been working on this for weeks already, so if anyone can suggest an easier way............

Back