BSOD when installing Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time poster here and I see alot of people getting helped so hopefully I can too. Here's my issue:
I'm building a new system with the following specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G LGA 775 Intel P31 ATX Intel Motherboard
pqi TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel
Samsung SATA 750 GB HD
WD IDE 320 GB HD

I'm at the point where I'm installing XP Pro as my OS but once it gets to the prompt for setting up a new install or repairing a failed install, I get 'page fault in a non paged area' with ntfs.sys' elsewhere in the error. I tried to load a Vista disc the same way but received the same results. I tried to install using a XP Home disc and the install went through with no problems. I then tried to upgrade to XP Pro with the previous CD and it actually loaded to the install GUI and then it rebooted and after that the BSOD came back. I tried once again to install the XP Home software again but even that one will fail as soon as I hit enter to setup a new install. I'm ususally pretty computer savvy but this one has me stuck. Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks.

Ran memtest and it came back with no errors. I had to install a floppy drive and find actual floppies. Any other suggestions? Or is there a way that I can format the drive without actually booting into Windows or using an XP disc? I thought there may have been a way to do it but I could be wrong.

Both those errors you described are usually hardware issues. Have you attempted to run a full harddrive diagnostics?

I think the problem may have been that I was trying to install XP on the hard drive that already had 1 and a half installs on it already. I tried to install it on my Samsung HD and got further into the install but still failed with a BSOD with a different message. This one had something to do with a driver pool. I'm thinking I may need to find a retail copy of either XP or Vista. Any specific hard drive diagnostic software I should use?

Yes, go to your harddrive manufacturer's website and find their free diagnostic utility for your harddrive. Run a full diagnostic; this takes time but is well worth it.

The driver pool message means the driver pool has been corrupted thus a retail copy would probably be a good idea. It could be you are also infected or you have buggy software installed.

OK. Looks like I got everything under control now. The problem was the copy of XP I was using. I ended up getting another copy of XP Pro and it installed with no issue at all. Now the only problem I'm having is the Logitech drivers for the keyboard and mouse that I installed because the mouse was acting erratically :( . I think I should be able to roll the driver back and it should be fine. Thanks for the suggestions and help from all those who contributed. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back