BSOD with error 0x0000007f

Status
Not open for further replies.
Win XP (of course)

The BSOD Message:
STOP 0x0000007f (0x0000000d,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)
No driver referenced

I was afraid this was a memory error almost immediately. One reformat later my fears seemed validated. Hardware diagnostics commenced:

I performed 2 passes with memtest86 for both sticks of Corsair XMS RAM and found myself no closer to defining the problem. Based on a couple hours reading I understand this provides at least reasonable assurance that the ram is good.

Now I was forced to upgrade video cards not long ago when my radeon 9700 pro gave out with an impressive show of rave worthy artifacts. I stuck to ati replacing it with a Sapphire x1650 pro for a moderate upgrade without adding a scratch to the credit card. However this is about the same time that the BSOD began appearing. Obviously I'm not ruling out that a brand new VGA could be bad but I'm not convinced. Just today playing Spore I switched out the new x1650 with the older 9700 pro in a desperate attempt to root out the cause and I found the game crashed at the exact same point (can't be sure it was the same message on the BSOD since the 9700 pro had slipped it some artifact acid). This same BSOD has also occured while playing BF Vietnam and Medieval Total War in addition to a few others. It's always when a 3D graphically intense scene has just started. I get between 1 to 15 seconds of play time and then there it is.

So given this information is it reasonable to conclude that somehow my motherboard has gone bad (perhaps at the same time / same reason as my old 9700 Pro)? Or is this new graphic card bad? Since both my cards crashed at the same moment in Spore I can only conclude it's the MB out of a lack of further options. However on visual examination the MB appears intact. Ideas?

My Specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Asus A7n8x Deluxe MB
2x Corsair XMS 512MB DDR 2700
Sapphire 512MB AGP x1650 Pro (Replacing Radeon 9700 Pro)
A bunch of trusty Western Digital HD's (6 years and running strong)

Attached are a couple minidumps for your viewing pleasure.
Please, any help, advice or knowledge of computer voodoo would be appreaciated. Thank you!

You've hit the nail squarely on the head I see...

Wow. That post is seriously the last couple days of my life made into a dramatic literary work. You are a hero among men my friend. I'll get to work shortly and post back the results. Much obliged!

-The Citizen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back