BSoDs, freezes and crashes..

mangaroca

Hello,

I have a rather complex issue that I cannot find explanation to. Before I am asked to send any Dump Files (I'm at work now) could you please take a look at my problem's description I provided below and post any comments that you may have.

My PC's Specs:
- AMD Phenom II 6 Core @ 3.2 GHz;
- ASUS Motherboard with updated BIOS;
- ~8 Gb Kingston DDR3 RAM @ 1.3 GHz;
- Sapphire Radeon HD4890 2Gb;
- WD Caviar ~1.5Tb HDD;
- 650W OCZ Power Supply;
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit;
- ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS BEEN OVERCLOCKED AND ALL USED TO WORK ON DEFAULT SETTINGS!
- Hardware is 2 months old (it used to work with no problems for a month).
- System is 2 months old (it used to work with no problems for a month).

The Issues I'm having:
1. I am getting "Blue Screens of Death" with these messages: MEMORY MANAGEMENT, PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA, BAD POOL HEADER. Sometimes, the BSoDs have no "capital letter codename" but they are dumping some files for a few seconds and reboot my PC.
2. Sometimes, my PC doesn't crash and reboot with a BSoD but instead the screen goes sort of "out of sync" and all the horizontal pixel lines get shifted against each other sideways. Seconds after that the PC reboots.
3. The most interesting part comes now: the above mentioned crashes occur ONLY during the first ~20 minutes from when I start my PC after it's been off for a longer period (12 hours). After I get through the first ~20 minutes of crashes and reboots the PC can work well for hours with only minor glitches, stuttering and "file corruption" messages which disappear however after a system restart.
4. The above mentioned glitches and "file corruption" messages vary and can also cause Virus Warnings (although I have no Viruses) to appear and Windows Explorer restarts/reloads (all the icons next to the Time & Date reload). They seem to be gone after a system reboot.
5. Many times after a crash Norton Internet Security 360 4.0 finds various errors and tries to download a patch file. Unfortunately, the patch is corrupted in most cases and sometimes the patching process never completes. While this occurs my Norton Internet Security goes "off-line" and claims my system is vulnerable to threats.

My thoughts:
- I do not think it's the CPU as I have checked it with a monitoring software and pushed it "to the limit" with another. There were no errors recorded and the temperature stayed within the limits for the whole test (~1 hour).
- I do not think it's the HDD (bad sectors) as the errors I get are different every time and the file corruption occurs in random places and is gone after a reboot.
- I do not think it's the drivers as the variety of errors seems to be too great (see point 4 above).
- I DO think it could be RAM...

I've battled this problem for the last month. I posted on other forums but hardly anybody answered. I hope someone here will help me resolve this issue. It should not be a problem if it turns out I need to buy new hardware. It's just I need to be sure what I need to buy... :)
Please, assist!

Kind regards -
Darek

Is your Kingston memory listed on Asus' recommended memory list for your motherboard (they are never an exshausted list however)? Do the memory voltage and timings in the BIOS match your memory's designed specs?

Good question regarding the voltage etc. How do I find out the memory's timings and voltages? Is there any software that could measure or ID that?

PS. Yes, that RAM is listed in the MoBo's Manual.

I've done as you suggested. I checked my RAM specification and manually entered the information in BIOS. My motherboard has a "MemOK" button that detects and sets up the parameters for the memory automatically. I tried that as well and compared the settings it triggered in BIOS to the ones I've put in. They were almost identical. However, I still experience the same issues...

I'm wondering if it's a hardware conflict or a hardware malfunction/failure...

Please, help!

Believe it or not "almost" can be an issue. Can you manually set the memory voltage to its designed specs?

Here I go...:

This is a link to description file of my memory. I have two sets of those (two in a set which makes 4 modules, 2Gb each).

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR1333D3N9K2_4G.pdf

Please, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Voltage should be 1,5000V. The auto detection via "MemOK" changed them to 1,5500V. I saved those settings...
However, the PC was crashing when I had it at 1,5000 as well.

You know my ram, let me show you my motherboard:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YATvwCy0OZLGNWwp

Please, help!

1. Yes, the memory should be set at 1.5v.

2. I don't see your particular set of Kingston on the QVL list but keep in mind those lists are not exshaustive.

3. Run your system with only 4 gigs. What are the results?

Yes, I swapped the modules but the same thing kept on occuring with 1 and 2 modules installed in Channel A.

Could it be my motherboard? :/

What happens when you install 1-3 or 2-4? Or is this warned against in the motherboard manual?

I did not try 2-4. I thought you have to insert memory modules starting from Channel A... Regarding what happens, I get the same type of problems as described in my first post (points 1-5).

Update:

I checked all my RAM separately with MemTest86 and it's all OK. No problems found.

I put only one stick in Channel A 1 and PC crashed...
I put only one stick in Channel A 2 and PC crashed as well...
I put only one stick in Channel B 1 and PC works till now (12 hours) with no problems...
I did not try Channel B 2 yet.

- It's not BIOS cause I get Windows Blue Screens when BIOS is not doing much...
- It's not RAM cause I checked
- It's not Windows drivers cause after a crash I cannot start the PC (RAM check LED on my Motherboard lits all the time or blinks as it was checking memory forever)...

The conclusion.... could this be the Motherboard ot the Motherboard RAM ports???

Back