Building a computer need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great1122

OK I'll start off with what I have to work with: about 200 dollars, I have an Emachines t5026 so from that, the useful stuff are: 2 dvd players,one is Dual-layer burner, 160 gb sata hdd, flash card player, an ehome wifi card, and a 14 inch lcd screen I believe, other than that everything is useless, I also have a copy of Windows Vista, 32 and 64 bit, recovery disks, so thats not a problem. Ok here's what I'm going to be using this computer for, Gaming at moderate resolutions, and I'm sure everything else comes with gaming, like homework, web surfing, and also multi-tasking would be great. The games I'm looking at is current and at least 1-2 years from now. I can probably get little support from my parents, but 200 dollars is what I have to work with. I'll have more money over time, so this doesn't have to be a right now project, tell me parts that are most likely to stay for more than a year.For now, I'd like the things that'll get it working in any condition, so I can just access the bio settings, doesn't even have to boot windows yet, but if you can find something that'd be great.

Note: I did read the post the other guy did about an Emachines t5026 but most things that were mentioned were discontinued, and I'm sure I can find better things now, just need some help. Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading.

That'd be fine but I also would need a case so I an get those two installed asap, but I don't know which case to pick, which is the best case for 15-20 dollars, also with the mobo, I want it to be upgradeable with the gpu, so I can always buy a new gpu for it to work with the latest games, and the cpu, I'd like to easily be able to over-clock it for games that require high speeds. Also I don't care about sound as much, so any onboard sound card that provides OK quality is fine with me.

$200 will get you this:
Grand Total = $200 approximately, not including shipping on the mobo. I recommend sticking with your current case and getting a cheap one like one of these when you have the cash to do so.

The games I'm looking at is current and at least 1-2 years from now.

I think Rage that he should get a better motherboard and processor for now. And if required a PSU. He can wait till he has some more cash to get a card that will enable him to play games releasing some time from now.
Would you agree?

Ok, I like the processor Ritwik mentioned, but the motherboard rage mentioned fits very well into the emachines case,I think this is the best replacement for the cpu ritwik provided and it has the best compatibility for rage's motherboard: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail, it has a little less operating frequency nothing a little overclocking can't fix though, right? So here is my basic configuration for now please let me know if it looks good for an upgrading gpu for at least the next 5 years for games with at least high resolutions, here is the build:

GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2P Socket AM2+/ GeForce 6100/ DDR2/ A&V&L/ MATX Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA667 - Retail

I'm also going to use everything I mentioned in the emachines including the case.

How's this for the gpu VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail, I'm going to save up for it, and just use the onboard video card for now.

As for the PSU, the video card, which I believe requires the most power, requires a 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode) so any cheap one that'll still work good is fine.

The 4870 is a very powerful card, and is recommended only if you are going to game at 1680x1050 or higher. Below that resolution, the HD 4850 would be good enough.

For a PSU, look at the BFG LS450 and OCZ SXS500.

@ Rage : Was wondering if the Corsair VX450 will be able to handle the HD4870.

@ Great1122 : Good luck with your build. As for the GPU, I second Rage's opinion. (You can never really go wrong with his recommendations. :))

Ok I just want to check for compatibility is this card good: ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16, I found it at newegg for $100 so that saves a good 50 bucks, and as for the psu I'm going to order the OCZ SXS either today or tomorrow since newegg has the special 30 dollar rebate which makes it cheaper and better than the other one you mentioned. Also would the box that the Gigabyte processor comes in be an ok storage place for my intel p4 currently inside the case, since I'd like to rebuild that computer once I get a new case and hdd for the other build.

The 4850 is a good choice if you're planning to game at resolutions around 1280x1024. You might want to get an HD4850 1GB.

I just got the 512 asus too, that's the first part of my new computer build too, Klepto, how's your experience with the 4850 with current games? Just ordered the new psu, klepto how much watts does your psu have?

Ok just got the graphics card and its quite big, are all graphics card big like that? I don't have the mobo to install it yet.

Ok, guys I got $150 to buy a Mobo, CPU, and Ram (at least 2 gb or more), What I mentioned above is it the best choice for $150, already got the 4850 vid card, and 500w psu.

i say see if you can save just a little more and you will be able to get alot more bang for your buck like $250 or so should be fine.

It could be a lot of time until I get 100 dollars, and I'm fine with the Mobo, but there's one thing I have to know, at the end of 2009 they're planning to release DX 11 games, so with this upgrade must be a vid card upgrade, will the Mobo be able to support these new vid cards, incase I need to update, I believe they're called GDDR3 not sure. Otherwise it supports up to 8gb or ram, which is fine by me, and I can get a quad core when I have the money to do so, for now the duo is fine, but what I want to know is am I getting top notch equipment for the money I do have. Also, sorry to be a noob, but what is dual-linking? I was reading about it and want to know more. I might get a vid card upgrade next year or in 2 years, since I can find a job easily when I'm older.

I also have a copy of Windows Vista, 32 and 64 bit, recovery disks, so thats not a problem.
If I understand you correctly, that will in fact be a problem. I believe you are replacing enough of the computer to warrant your current windows to think it's in a new computer, invalidating it. And recover disks are not fresh install disks, they will install drivers and stuff for the parts the computer originally came with, not accounting for any possible changes.

Forgetting my last comment, I just need to know if my mobi can handle GDDR3 cards?
Yes...graphics memory is independent from the motherboard.
In fact, current generation (and the previous version too) ATI cards have GDDR5 and they will work fine.

You MUST have a power supply added to your shopping list, as the eMachine power supply is not only worthless... it can be dangerous... and harmful to your new board. You can get a decent power supply from FSP or Sparkle that should last for years, while costing you only $50 or less.
Don't forget to consider used parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back