RATE MY SPECS!!!

• crappy. weak parts, maybe decent enough to read email once in a while

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StaticEndo

Hey all,
just need some expert help.
im still a little bit of a noob when it comes to computers, even thought i know much more than the average person;
but anywhoo, to my main topic: as soon as windows 8 comes out, i will order in the specs below, build a computer, and hope it works

i have a few questions though.
1. when windows 8 comes out, will it work on the specs i using?
2. are all these specs compatible? will they work together? are they good?
please rate the combination, and end result (computer) from
1 (5 or 6 year old generic pc with windows xp, good for surfing the web and checking emails)- to 10 (top of the range kickass overkill autobot of a computer, with awesome specs which is like a dream for most gamers)

i would rate it maybe 6 or 6.5, but i want to hear your opinions!

OK, NOW HERE ARE THE SPECS::::::

FIND EVERYTHING HERE
wvw.pccasegear.c0m

Case:
Thermaltake Armor A90 Case
Cost: $90

CPU:
Intel Core i5 2500
Cost: $205

Graphics Card:
HIS Radeon HD6870 IceQ X 1GB
Cost: $200

Monitor:
ASUS VH238H 23in Widescreen LED Monitor
Cost: $175

Memory:
G.Skill ECO F3-10666CL7D-4GBECO (2x2GB) DDR3
Cost: $55

HDD:
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ
Cost: $60

SSD:
Crucial M4 SSD 64GB
Cost: $150

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3 B3 Motherboard
Cost: $140

Optical drive:
ASUS DRW-24B3ST 24X DVDRW Drive
Cost: $25

Power Supply:
Gigabyte Odin 720W
Cost: $95

CPU Cooler:
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
Cost: $33

Sound Card:
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Value
Cost: $32
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PERIPHERALS:

LED ambientlights behind monitor:
Antec Halo 6 LED Bias Lighting Kit
COST: $15

Mouse & Keyboard:
Gigabyte KM7600 2.4Ghz Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Black
COST: $45

SPEAKERS:
Logitech LS21 2.1 Speaker
COST: $30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL: $1350

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading this, i really appreciate any answers!!!!

:)

It looks like they're making a decent profit off you. Not too bad though, I suppose.
Yes.
Yes.
My suggestion for you is to grow up for a while until windows 8 comes out, then you can post a new thread using newer, or cheaper parts.

I was under the impression that Gigabyte's power supplies are made by a reputable Taiwanese manufacture, and use decent quality Japanese capacitors.
The Corsair builder series AFAIK is more of a low end series.

I've also had a couple (and replaced for other people) several Builder/CX series Corsair, and do not recommend them at all. Not even for budget builds for web browsing either.

If you prefer Corsair you need to be looking at V2 models of the TX/VX/AX, or the new Gaming Series (GS) models. Or anything from the likes of Enermax, Seasonic, Silverstone and most Antec models.

I'd recommend to you the following (all of which are absolutely fine for your build):

1. Antec High Current Gamer 620W Power Supply HCG-620 $105.00 I use this PSU myself and rate it highly for the price.
2. OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular $99.00
3. Corsair GS-600 Power Supply $105.00
4. Corsair TX-650 V2 Power Supply $115.00
5. Silverstone Strider Plus 600W ST60F-P $99.00
6. Enermax NAXN 600W 80+ $89.00

If it was me, I'd go with the Antec HCG-620, but the Enermax and Corsair TX V2 models are very good (if not better) as well. The OCZ is a modular PSU, so you can run just the cables you need, and not have to worry about where to hide unused cables inside the case.

If you want to Crossfire later on (run 2 HD6870's, head for a 750W which will give you capacity to overclock the GPU's and CPU and have some spare capacity remaining. For that I'd recommend a Corsair TX750 V2 ($145.00), Enermax NAXN 750W Modular 80+ ($155) or a Silverstone Strider Plus 750W ST75-P ($145) from the site your using.

I'd also go for DDR3-1600 RAM as well.

Something like this: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $69.00 which is actually on the Qualified RAM list and therefore guaranteed to work. Its also the faster DDR3-1600, and double the size of your choice for only $14 more.

You could also save a little bit of money and go for a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD ($109.00, which is plenty fast enough and very highly recommended. Downgrading to this will enable you to go for the 8GB of faster RAM and a better PSU whilst still being in budget.

PSU

I was under the impression that Gigabyte's power supplies are made by a reputable Taiwanese manufacture, and use decent quality Japanese capacitors.
The Corsair builder series AFAIK is more of a low end series.

Let's see:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Gigabyte-Odin-Plus-700-W-Power-Supply-Review/1010/10

http://www.techpowerup.com/131899/C...Mainstream-System-Builders-and-Upgraders.html

Oh yes, and at half the price.

Some of the power supplies recommended by Leaky are better - and at twice the price. I understand the importance of having a good power supply - but if your living in a shack you should not spend money first to buy a Mercedes Benz. I think the system would be enhanced by spending a little less on the PSU and perhaps using the savings to add another 4 GB of memory or a faster video card.

Is 4 GB of memory enough?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778.html

Yes, the Corsair is a low end series - low end for a manufacturer that makes some of the top of the line, and highly respected PSUs in the world. While Gigabyte just started marketing PSUs last year.

Yes, the Corsair is a low end series - low end for a manufacturer that makes some of the top of the line, and highly respected PSUs in the world. While Gigabyte just started marketing PSUs last year.

That does not make the Corsair a better purchase. I'd sooner have the Gigabyte because my experiences of the Builder/CX series are frankly awful. The new V2 TX/VX.AX are very good, but the budget models are really not worthy of a Corsair badge.

They seem to fly off the shelves due to the price, but they really are not any good in a system long term. I even have one in front of me now thats worth nothing more than a paperweight after 4 months service in a PC using on-board graphics.

Sorry, but its a poor choice, and its precisely why I recommended something else.

Is Corsair actually a manufacturer?
I've usually just gone out and recommended Corsair power supplies lavishly, but I think in the recent years, their quality has not been as good, and other brands have been picking up slack.

JonnyGuru is arguably the most respected name in PSUs and PSU reviews. He has not reviewed the CX 600w model but did review and test of the CX 430w model im January and gave it a 9 of a possible 10 and a "Jonny Guru recommended". I will go with the experts.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=214

Also note that he gave the 430w PSU a "9" for value - when looking at a 430w PSU for under $50. Here we are looking at the same series but a 600w PSU for under $50. Even more value.

For my own system, I would go with a TX or HX model. But my budget is larger. Given his budget and proposed system, it makes sense to spend more on the memory and/or video card instead of allocating $100 to the PSU.

JonnyGuru is arguably the most respected name in PSUs and PSU reviews. He has not reviewed the CX 600w model but did review and test of the CX 430w model im January and gave it a 9 of a possible 10 and a "Jonny Guru recommended". I will go with the experts.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=214

Also note that he gave the 430w PSU a "9" for value - when looking at a 430w PSU for under $50. Here we are looking at the same series but a 600w PSU for under $50. Even more value.

For my own system, I would go with a TX or HX model. But my budget is larger. Given his budget and proposed system, it makes sense to spend more on the memory and/or video card instead of allocating $100 to the PSU.

I have had two of those exact PSUs fail on my own computers, plus 3 customers I have built systems for have had them fail, all inside 6 months.

Besides my HX750 failing, these are the only PSU's I've ever had fail in my systems, or the systems I've built for customers.

5 failed PSU's all within 6 months tells me something a lot more than any one review will - hence my comment that its a poor choice.

Just my 2 cents, I would consider a slightly better GPU (maybe the HD 6950). And I agree with Leeky on doubling your memory.

woa guys thans so much for the help!!
ive taken your advice, and changed my setup a little. please please take a few seconds to scan over them and maybe tell me your thoughts

NEW SPECS:
Case:------------------------------------------------->OR:
Thermaltake Armor A90 Case CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced
Cost: $90 Cost: $115

CPU:
Intel Core i5 2500
Cost: $205

Graphics Card: z
HIS Radeon HD6870 IceQ X 1GB
Cost: $200

Monitor:
ASUS VH238H 23in Widescreen LED Monitor
Cost: $175

Memory:
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Cost: $70

HDD:
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ
Cost: $60

SSD:
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD
Cost: $110

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3 B3 Motherboard
Cost: $140

Optical drive:
ASUS DRW-24B3ST 24X DVDRW Drive
Cost: $25

Power Supply:
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular
Cost: $100

CPU Cooler:
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler
Cost: $33

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PERIPHERALS:

LED ambientlights behind monitor:
Antec Halo 6 LED Bias Lighting Kit
COST: $15

Mouse & Keyboard:
Gigabyte KM7600 2.4Ghz Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Black
COST: $45

SPEAKERS:
Logitech LS21 2.1 Speaker
COST: $30

TOTAL: $1300

find everything at wvw.pccasegear.c0m

Nice setup. As for the cases, you could also consider the Cooler Master CM690 II, Storm Scout or the Storm Enforcer. The Enforcer is on sale for AU $99 at pccasegear.com. And I would still recommend you get this graphics card over the 6870. It'll set you back an extra 50 bucks but it would be worth it.

Back