Building a PC For the First Time, please review my parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
This is my first post!
I am planning to build a computer, and have researched and decided upon a set of parts.
I have a mouse and will just buy a generic keyboard, but still need to decide on a monitor, a Power Supply and a case.
I plan to use the PC for gaming, and want it to be fairly future proof and upgradable.

My parts list is:
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q-SE

CPU: Intel E5200 S775
RAM: 2G-800 Kingston
Graphics Card: ASUS EAH3870 TOP/G/HTDI/512M
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA
Optical Drive: SOHD-16P9SBLK

That is a nice set of parts. Why go for an HD 3870 though? The GPU is the most important part in any gaming rig.

Also, refer to this thread and post all the required information so we can help you better.

Required info

Ok, here is the info you asked for:

* What are you going to use the PC for? Gaming

* How much is your budget? Hopefully $800 or less (AUD).

* Where are you located? (aka fill out your profile) NSW, Australia.

* Are you willing to buy online? Yes, but would prefer not to.

* Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build? No Earlier build to use.

* Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others? Don't need a mouse, but need a cheap monitor and keyboard.

* Have you already bought any parts? No.

Also of not the GPU I put forward, which one?

I recommend going for an AMD build. Say a GA-M78SM-S2H motherboard and an X2 5000+ CPU. Throw in a decent PSU like the Antec EA430 or Corsair 400CX, an HD 4830\9800GT (whichever is cheaper), a Cooler Master Elite 330\340 (whichever is cheaper) case and your choice of HDD and optical drive. For the monitor, get any decent 19" monitor (supporting at least a 1440x900 resolution) from Benq, Acer, Samsung or LG. I am not linking you to any parts because you may find them much cheaper at your local store.

Also, if your budget will allow it, I recommend getting an E5200 and a cheap Intel motherboard like the GA-G31M-S2L\GA-EG31M-S2L (same board, different names) instead of the AMD ones.

You can buy pretty much any keyboard you want, it does not really matter which brand you buy. For the best experience though, dig around on eBay for an old IBM Model M keyboard. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back