Building Your Own NAS with the Silverstone DS380

Steve

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/826-silverstone-ds380-nas/]https://www.techspot.com/review/826-silverstone-ds380-nas/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

You know, when I first saw this case announced I Was sorta excited. I've moved my ITX home server through 3 cases at this point, and looking at that case got my jimmies all rustled. But then I got thinking... Do I want to go through the trouble of cramming everything back in there? I also only have five HDDs (support for six) in this computer, so I'd be wasting a bit of space in that case.

Then I started looking for new motherboards, which meant most likely new CPU/memory, and I just stopped myself there. I would definitely fall into the two categories of using old hardware, and would rather expand with a NAS or better yet a multi-bay enclosure like from Sans Digital.

Have you had a chance to review this one: PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 Diskless 4Bay Thunderbolt 2 RAID System?
I am interested in buying one, and the reviews indicate it is kind of a good product...

Also, I want a NAS that can handle Seagate 6TB Enterprise drives in RAID 0/1 without hiccups.

The last Promise NAS that I looked at was very poor. A safe bet is either QNAP or Synology and they will offer as good or better hard drive support than Promise.

Unless you need Thunderbolt I don't think the Pegasus2 R4 is the way to go.

The Synology DS412+ is also $100 cheaper.

Last edited:
Silverstone just showed this case to me today at Computex, very good looking case.

That's a sweet little NAS chassis. The idle power consumption on that 8-core Atom is atrocious, however. The other problem I see with that Atom is that on FreeNAS CIFS sessions are single-threaded so performance will suffer compared to a low end i3 or something.

If you like to tinker and play around with hardware and learn a lot from configuration; do build your own NAS (and more sure to backup externally too!).

If however you want a more complete set and forget solution which you don't need to tinker with, Synology can't be beat :)

Great article, but it only cover cost and performance. You could have talk about the software and the stability of the NAS vs QNAP and Synology.

Great article, but it only cover cost and performance. You could have talk about the software and the stability of the NAS vs QNAP and Synology.

Thanks for the feedback. The review was primarily about the Silverstone DS380 case but rather than just do a standard case review we wanted to show what can be done with it, hence the performance results.

That said the performance will vary depending on hardware used and there are numerous different options.

As for the software there are also a number of options so we couldn't really test one and assume they are all the same. So we just went with a popular option such as FreeNAS and compared that to Windows performance.

Looks kinda shabby to me but then I been looking at lianli. q03? I think takes 5 or 7 drives and looks great.. semi htpc/Nas . i3 seems better CPU all over .Nice try but n54l with 6 drives radically cheaper.

I built the same NAS. DS380 & c2750 recently.
3 x WD 2GB black
3 x HGST 2 GB

When I do run the system for an extended period of time my hard drives start baking. (50+ degrees)

1- The side fans are plugged into the MB
2- I use a seasonic SFF PSU (No fan at the top)

I am wondering whether to water cool the CPU, change the PSU or change the control for the sidefans from the MB to the backpanel. (I did this initially and side fans were super loud).

Suggestions appreciated.

Back