Built-in advertising: The Windows 8 feature you haven't heard about

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Windows 8 has been one of the most anticipated and talked about tech launches of 2012. Discussions intensified as the operating system neared and for the most part, everything went off swimmingly for Redmond. Sure there was the post-RTM update ahead of Microsoft’s October 26 release date but there’s something else with Windows 8 that most aren’t yet aware of: built-in advertising.

The advertisements are reportedly found inside some of the applications that ship with Windows 8 under the Modern UI (Metro) user interface like Finance, News, Travel and Weather. Advertisements in free mobile apps or even trial software are perfectly understandable, but how should you feel about finding ads inside software you paid full price for?

microsoft big hidden windows feature built- advertising windows 8 advertising

Several prominent figures from around the web are voicing their opinion on the issue, both in defense of the ads and against them. As ZDNet highlights, John Gruber from Daring Fireball simply believes it’s “gross.”  But it’s not just Mac fans that feel that way as Paul Thurrott from Supersite for Windows essentially believes it cheapens the operating system.

ZDNet’s Ed Bott doesn’t feel the issue is nearly as big of a deal as Gruber and Thurrott, however. Instead of seeing this as another revenue stream for Microsoft at the expense of paying customers, he says the ads are simply part of a project from Microsoft designed to inspire Windows 8 app developers.

microsoft big hidden windows feature built- advertising windows 8 advertising

Granted, the ads themselves aren’t terribly obtrusive. In fact, most say you have do a little digging to find the ads which is probably why we haven’t publically heard about them sooner. As Bott points out, the ad in the News app is found by swiping through seven full screens in landscape move. It’s similarly placed in the Sports app shown above as well.

Have you had an opportunity to try Windows 8 and if so, have you noticed the ads before? How do you feel about them being in a piece of software you’ve already paid full price for?

Permalink to story.

Social experiment. They're testing to see what they can get away with and how. Eventually people will not care if there is no other option as long as it works.

Wow, Microsoft, this is low even for you, If I pay for pretty much anything I ideally prefer and except to be no ads when it comes to software, I'm sure they'll be a way of blocking them though.

Wow, Microsoft, this is low even for you, If I pay for pretty much anything I ideally prefer and except to be no ads when it comes to software, I'm sure they'll be a way of blocking them though.

my point exactly, when I pay for something, I expect not to see crappy ads,

Has anyone noticed how MS operating systems are like Star Trek movies?
They seem to get it right every other release with the rest being pretty awful.

98SE = good
ME = bad
XP = good
Vista = bad
7 = good
8 = starting to look like another turkey.

To be honest it is not that bad as these are all in news apps, its just a modern day adaption of the newspaper the way they have ads in them, and like said above it is not that obvious to spot or else ms would be in a lot of scutiny

Isn't the endgame of all this going to be people who would normally have made an effort to stay legal with their PC will now feel no compunction to pay for Windows 8 any more than they would for hotmail, gmail, web search or any other ad-supported service they use?

"...most anticipated and talked about tech launches of 2012."
I would agree with the "most talked about" But I strongly disagree with anticipated. Me, my friends and family do not like the look of windows 8. We went to best buy to try it out, it was awful (on a desktop)

Although I have come across some adds, but it isn't half as bad as people think it may be. But having said that, I think MS is getting 'fair' price for windows 8, and if I've paid that I simply don't want to see any adds, period.

I have never tried Windows 8. I will never purchase Windows 8. Windows 9 is inevitable(as Brad Pitt would say), so I am kicking back for the next 3 years as I wait to see the direction of Windows 9 and as I watch all the "I gotta have the latest and greatest software" nerds keep getting it from behind from Microsoft. I shouted it from the rooftops that Windows 8 was a piece of garbage and no one listened. Can you hear me now "gotta have it now" tech nerds? LOL.

As Grady Seasons says in the movie "Color of Money". "It's like a nightmare isn't it? It just keeps getting worse and worse doesn't it?". We told you so.

Emmc15 said:
To be honest it is not that bad as these are all in news apps, its just a modern day adaption of the newspaper the way they have ads in them....

So, you basically says that if I have a printing shop and you come to me to print you something, I have the rights to add my watermark on it?

Newspapers put adds for profit and lowering their end price.
Why should MS do it?

To me, Windows 8 seems like M$ is taking a page from the Apple playbook with Metro apps, as they attempt to herd users to the (M$) "iStore".

The Windows franchise, (at least up to now), has permitted open development of 3rd party apps. With Vista & 7, they've tightened their grip a bit more, with warning screens about applications "attempting to make changes to the hard drive of this computer". Well that, and the mandatory signed drivers. However, these provisions are ostensibly targeted at consumer protection.

But now, M$ seems to be wresting more control from the end user, on an incremental basis. As this version is targeted at the less informed consumer, simply put, M$ intends to make a killing at their "app store", preying off people who don't know they have other equally sound, but free, choices. Applications most of take us advantage of on a daily basis,Not to mention some of the best apps for a home user, are freebies! In a worst case scenario, open source development gets frozen out of the Windows arena, simply but virtue of additional control by M$, coupled with an accelerated release schedule. Open source can't keep pace, and M$ and Adobe bilk you for all they possibly can.

Even at 40 bucks, Windows 8 doesn't present itself as a bargain, if you have to pay for everything you get for free now.

I'm really hoping enough desktop users will abstain on this release to cause M$ to rethink the whole thing.

As far as ads go, in and of themselves, it seems to me there is a finite amount of money in the world, so that advertises can't get the slice of the pie to which they believe they're entitled. The flop of the Facebook IPO, should have driven that point home, but it's doubtful.

So, in our "Brave New World", the economic model is heading toward advertisers paying telecoms for ad space, and the telecoms charging charging exorbitant fees for "smart phone" contracts. God only knows, farming is beneath our dignity. Oh well, maybe somebody will come up with "an app for that"....

I have never tried Windows 8. I will never purchase Windows 8. Windows 9 is inevitable(as Brad Pitt would say), so I am kicking back for the next 3 years as I wait to see the direction of Windows 9 and as I watch all the "I gotta have the latest and greatest software" nerds keep getting it from behind from Microsoft. I shouted it from the rooftops that Windows 8 was a piece of garbage and no one listened. Can you hear me now "gotta have it now" tech nerds? LOL.

As Grady Seasons says in the movie "Color of Money". "It's like a nightmare isn't it? It just keeps getting worse and worse doesn't it?". We told you so.

Tell me more about how windows 8 is a piece of crap even though you've never tried it...
There are so many bandwagon haters it's ridiculous.

It's like any time there is any bit of controversy, the haters declare: "LOL I TOLD YOU SO. Metro sucks. Windows 8 is a piece of crap. I have to troll forums spreading hate because my opinions are important. I knew windows was going to suck before you did and I'm so much better than you simpletons who don't blindly hate windows like me."
People might actually listen to what you have to say if you had any substance in you post. Posts like these are just big circle jerks for windows 8 haters, making themselves feel valid even though there is very little reasoning to speak of. Maybe you should actually try the OS for more a good length of time before forming your opinion, so that your argument has more credibility.

Zecias said:
"Tell me more about how windows 8 is a piece of crap even though you've never tried it...

It's like any time there is any sort of small(yeah, small; non obtrusive and you have to go through 7 pages to find one) bit of controversy, the haters declare: "LOL I TOLD YOU SO. Metro sucks. Windows 8 is a piece of crap. I have to troll forums spreading hate because my opinions are important. I knew windows was going to suck before you did and I'm so much better than you simpletons who don't blindly hate windows like me."

People might actually listen to what you have to say if you had any substance in you post. Posts like these are just big circle jerks for windows 8 haters, making themselves feel valid even though there is very little reasoning to speak of. Maybe you should actually try the OS for more a good length of time before forming your opinion, so that your argument has more credibility."

My response:
"If you purchased Windows 8 and you fall into the category of 'Mom and Pop', 'teenage girl who just wants to browse facebook' or general 'simpleton'" I have nothing bad to say against you. You have my condolences.

If you are a tech nerd who has been using Windows for years and you knew what Windows 8 generally was and you still dropped your pants and bought it 'anyway' because you have an uncontrollable addiction to having the 'latest and greatest software' then you should be ashamed of yourself for sending Microsoft the wrong message. People who knew exactly what this garbage was and bought it anyway.

And the lame argument about me having to try it to form an opinion is weak. I have never once did cocaine and I still recommend that people don't go out and try it either. I know "enough" about cocaine to know that I should never have to try it. I know "enough" about Windows 8 to know that I don't want that garbage as my main operating system. I don't post to validate my decision not to use it. I feel more than comfortable about that decision. I post to wake people up, so that, God willing, Windows 9, isn't just as bad, when I look at it in 3 years.

If you feel good about purchasing Windows 8, thats wonderful. Enjoy. I can't help you. :)

"But...but....but.....its boots faster!!!!!!!!". LOL

Tell me more about how windows 8 is a piece of crap even though you've never tried it...

It's like any time there is any sort of small(yeah, small; non obtrusive and you have to go through 7 pages to find one) bit of controversy, the haters declare: "LOL I TOLD YOU SO. Metro sucks. Windows 8 is a piece of crap. I have to troll forums spreading hate because my opinions are important. I knew windows was going to suck before you did and I'm so much better than you simpletons who don't blindly hate windows like me."
People might actually listen to what you have to say if you had any substance in you post. Posts like these are just big circle jerks for windows 8 haters, making themselves feel valid even though there is very little reasoning to speak of. Maybe you should actually try the OS for more a good length of time before forming your opinion, so that your argument has more credibility.
My most reliable OS and internet computer is...., (wait for it).... a 1995 eMachines T-5226 with ......, (wait for it again).......Windows XP Home, SP-2.

Vista DID suck, to one extent or another. I tried that quite by accident, as it came with a bargain laptop I bought.. I never actually would have spent money for it. But in that case, the pundits were quite right. At least to the extent that it wasn't worth walking into a store and buying it outright.

So, I see your view yourself as sort sort of visionary, and the rest of us as plebeians, who simply don't know or understand quality when we avoid it.

For myself, the touch screen interface at the local Redbox kiosk, is more than sufficient to satisfy my needs. If you think I plan on buying new IPS displays with a touch screen interface so I have to wash my hands every time I fire off a rebuttal, you're mistaken. And really, isn't the touch screen interface the most salient point of Windows 8?

Ads don't upset me a much as the furor these ones being discussed in this thread. The modern internet's ratio of useless ads to useful information, is increasing on what seems like a daily basis. Many sites are practically unusable without script blocking. So, I guess we're just fed up, spent out, and tired of looking at ads, so they really don't deserve to be in a bought and paid for OS.

To be fair, Adobe uses this model with "adobeupdate.exe". They rarely publish actual updates, they just use it a a vehicle for advertising. So, that makes "adobeupdate.exe" ADWARE, nothing more.

Then we have Windows Media Center, or actually now we don't have Windows Media Center. That I actually use, and M$ can stuff Metro. Is it possible that M$ deleted the media center so they don't have to pay royalties on codecs, and included ads in 8 so they could get paid for them? That's pretty close to "double dipping", cutting features, and adding advertisements, wouldn't you say? So, I don't really think anybody has to try Windows 8 to not like it, 'cause it practically unsells itself.....:p

Zecias said:
My response:
"If you purchased Windows 8 and you fall into the category of 'Mom and Pop', 'teenage girl who just wants to browse facebook' or general 'simpleton'" I have nothing bad to say against you. You have my condolences.

If you are a tech nerd who has been using Windows for years and you knew what Windows 8 generally was and you still dropped your pants and bought it 'anyway' because you have an uncontrollable addiction to having the 'latest and greatest software' then you should be ashamed of yourself for sending Microsoft the wrong message. People who knew exactly what this garbage was and bought it anyway.

And the lame argument about me having to try it to form an opinion is weak. I have never once did cocaine and I still recommend that people don't go out and try it either. I know "enough" about cocaine to know that I should never have to try it. I know "enough" about Windows 8 to know that I don't want that garbage as my main operating system. I don't post to validate my decision not to use it. I feel more than comfortable about that decision. I post to wake people up, so that, God willing, Windows 9, isn't just as bad, when I look at it in 3 years.

If you feel good about purchasing Windows 8, thats wonderful. Enjoy. I can't help you. :)

"But...but....but.....its boots faster!!!!!!!!". LOL
Oh man... comparing cocaine and an OS. If you try cocaine, you are killing people. You are funding drug cartels, completely different from an OS. There are scientific facts behind cocaine addiction and its effects whereas your opinions on an OS are just that, opinions.

"I post to wake people up, so that, God willing, Windows 9, isn't just as bad, when I look at it in 3 years."
If this is really true, then why would you ridicule those who have bought it. All it does is give them further incentive to disregard your comments. If you truly intended to "wake people" you might try to convince people that windows 8 is as bad as you say it is. Everything you said in your first comment is either about your self or an attack on those who have bought windows 8. It seems like its only purpose is self validation to me.

Oh and also... I never once mentioned that I bought windows 8, but if it makes you feel better assuming I'm not a "true tech nerd" like you and I bought windows 8, that's wonderful.

Why would you make light of faster boosts? You know, there are plenty of people who have shelled out $100+ for just that.

Oh man... comparing cocaine and an OS. If you try cocaine, you are killing people. You are funding drug cartels, completely different from an OS. There are scientific facts behind cocaine addiction and its effects whereas your opinions on an OS are just that, opinions.

"I post to wake people up, so that, God willing, Windows 9, isn't just as bad, when I look at it in 3 years."
If this is really true, then why would you ridicule those who have bought it. All it does is give them further incentive to disregard your comments. If you truly intended to "wake people" you might try to convince people that windows 8 is as bad as you say it is. Everything you said in your first comment is either about your self or an attack on those who have bought windows 8. It seems like its only purpose is self validation to me.

Oh and also... I never once mentioned that I bought windows 8, but if it makes you feel better assuming I'm not a "true tech nerd" like you and I bought windows 8, that's wonderful.

Why would you make light of faster boosts? You know, there are plenty of people who have shelled out $100+ for just that.
I'd just like to dash off a big "thank you" to both of you, for doing my trolling for me.:D

My most reliable OS and internet computer is...., (wait for it).... a 1995 eMachines T-5226 with ......, (wait for it again).......Windows XP Home, SP-2.

Vista DID suck, to one extent or another. I tried that quite by accident, as it came with a bargain laptop I bought.. I never actually would have spent money for it. But in that case, the pundits were quite right. At least to the extent that it wasn't worth walking into a store and buying it outright.

So, I see your view yourself as sort sort of visionary, and the rest of us as plebeians, who simply don't know or understand quality when we avoid it.

For myself, the touch screen interface at the local Redbox kiosk, is more than sufficient to satisfy my needs. If you think I plan on buying new IPS displays with a touch screen interface so I have to wash my hands every time I fire off a rebuttal, you're mistaken. And really, isn't the touch screen interface the most salient point of Windows 8?

Ads don't upset me a much as the furor these ones being discussed in this thread. The modern internet's ratio of useless ads to useful information, is increasing on what seems like a daily basis. Many sites are practically unusable without script blocking. So, I guess we're just fed up, spent out, and tired of looking at ads, so they really don't deserve to be in a bought and paid for OS.

To be fair, Adobe uses this model with "adobeupdate.exe". They rarely publish actual updates, they just use it a a vehicle for advertising. So, that makes "adobeupdate.exe" ADWARE, nothing more.

Then we have Windows Media Center, or actually now we don't have Windows Media Center. That I actually use, and M$ can stuff Metro. Is it possible that M$ deleted the media center so they don't have to pay royalties on codecs, and included ads in 8 so they could get paid for them? That's pretty close to "double dipping", cutting features, and adding advertisements, wouldn't you say? So, I don't really think anybody has to try Windows 8 to not like it, 'cause it practically unsells itself.....:p

I never even said that I like windows 8, nor have I said that I bought it. The only reason I was arguing with the guest is because the gist of his post was: "I told you so, windows 8 is bad. You're an ***** if you bought it."
edit: the ***** = id iot

Although I have come across some adds, but it isn't half as bad as people think it may be. But having said that, I think MS is getting 'fair' price for windows 8, and if I've paid that I simply don't want to see any adds, period.

yeah, but more people read the article if we can get really worked up about it. Anyway, TS seems to really dig to find things to rip on windows about. Last article about searching and how it hasn't improved. Now there are *gasp* ads in a news app?!
All sounds like a big witch hunt to me.

You never really understand much of what I post. Or are you just trolling me? Or perhaps a bit of both?

This is so far removed from what I actually posted I don't know what to say.

Zecias said:
"Oh man... comparing cocaine and an OS. If you try cocaine, you are killing people. You are funding drug cartels, completely different from an OS. There are scientific facts behind cocaine addiction and its effects whereas your opinions on an OS are just that, opinions.

Why would you make light of faster boosts? You know, there are plenty of people who have shelled out $100+ for just that."

My response:
Dude seriously? The cocaine thing was an 'example'. Not to be taken literally like you did in your reply. Enough said on that.

I ridicule one class of people. Nerds who should have should known better but because of this deep uncontrollable desire to be update(or maybe it's more of a fear of being 'not in the loop') they go out and purchase crapware like Windows 8. Curiosity killed the cat. Curiosity is going to kill Windows 9. If people buy Windows 8 just to 'try it out' it sends the wrong message to Microsoft. If Windows 8 sells millions of copies because of people who just wanted to try it out but had no real compulsive interest in the operating system itself, Microsoft will produce the same **** in Windows 9. And then I will have no choice but to migrate to a Linux based operating system where I am in control of things and not Microsoft.

I don't know where you get your thought processes from. I guess if you wanna take a deep dive into the philosophical realm, yeah, every message I post is about me and for me. I hate what Windows 8 is, and I am trying like hell to voice my opinion, so that Windows 9 isn't more of the same. So yeah these posts, from a philosophical point of view, are all about me. Not sure what that adds to the conversation though. *puzzled look on my face*

Again with your next statement you leave me puzzled as hell. If all my posting energy was an attempt at self-validation for remaining on Windows 7, why wouldn't I just go out and buy Windows 8 like a good little sheep? Wouldn't that be easier for me to self-validate by spending $14.99(when the opportunity was present) versus me writing all these posts? Your points just seem to fly in the face of logic.

If Microsoft had declared Windows 8 as the last and final operating system they were ever going to make I would let bygones be bygones. All these energy is an investment in what Windows 9 may ultimately become. If I don't express my dislike for Windows 8 Microsoft will think everything is fine. And Windows 9 will be more of the same. This isn't self-validation. It's an attempt, however small an impact it may have, at shaping the future of Windows.

The reason I make light of faster boots is because people are willing to put aside the fact that Windows 8 is a tablet OS and runs most applications full screen using a touch-centric interface all because it's boots faster.

It would be analogous to me saying, "Hey, kid. I'll give you a $100.00 bill if you assume this $1,000 promissory note that's in my name." And the little kid says, "Yeah, mister it's a deal". All the little kid sees is the $100 bill and doesn't realize he's getting it up the *** in the long run.

People are willing to give up complete and total control to Microsoft because their system "boots faster". Now, is that not worth laughing at?

Back