Buying a new case

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorturedChaos

So I'm looking at buying a new case because the one I have is a bit cramped. The case I have now (RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WG is rather stuffed full, and with how long my video card is (EVGA GeForce 9800 GT) I can't use most of my hdd bays. The card takes out the 2nd and 3rd bay, and makes it hard to use the 4th. Then the top bay is right over the IDE hookup on my Gigabyte Mobo.

I'm looking at this Cooler Master case. It looks like there should be quite a bit more room in it, and I can add a few extra fans. But I'm still wondering if I am going to run into similar issues with my video card being rather long.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with this case, and a video card of similar size.

Thanks

We have had unusually large numbers of failures of the power switch on some coolermaster cases, and when they fail, Cooler Master has been unable to provide a replacement

I'm using the RC 690 with an XFX 9800GT. I don't think you'll have any issues with the card being long. As for the case itself, I think it's really good for the money. I'm very happy with it.

However, I have not had any problems as raybay mentions. So you should take that into consideration.

We have had unusually large numbers of failures of the power switch on some coolermaster cases, and when they fail, Cooler Master has been unable to provide a replacement
Thats good to know. I did notice on the review on New Egg that a lot of people said the power button felt a little cheap/flimsy, but no mention of the power switch failing.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm using the RC 690 with an XFX 9800GT. I don't think you'll have any issues with the card being long. As for the case itself, I think it's really good for the money. I'm very happy with it.

However, I have not any problems as raybay mentions. So you should take that into consideration.

Ok im going to guess that he XFX version is about the same size. Thanks for the info, hate to get it in there and have the same issue im having now.

I think the cases that have had problems with the power switch are mainly the CM Elite cases, IIRC. If you want an alternative though, the Antec Three Hundred is your poison. :)

I think the cases that have had problems with the power switch are mainly the CM Elite cases, IIRC. If you want an alternative though, the Antec Three Hundred is your poison. :)

Ok i will take a look at the Antec Three Hundred. Do you know how well a graphics card like the EVGA 9800GT fits into one?

The Antec 300 Three Hundred will house the 9800GT just fine. In-fact I think any decent mid-tower should do. I initially had the XFX 9800GT inside a much smaller case that came with the Compaq Presario.

The Antec 300 Three Hundred will house the 9800GT just fine. In-fact I think any decent mid-tower should do. I initially had the XFX 9800GT inside a much smaller case that came with the Compaq Presario.

Just wondering because my it fits in my case just fine, but I can't use 3 of the hdd slots because of it & and it makes my case very cramped. Hence why I'm looking for a new case, one with much more space.

You don't need to flip it over. There will be no problems with the intake fan facing the bottom.

Well I got my new Antec Three Hundred Illusion in, and transferred all the parts over to it, and I love it. Everything runs cooler. Graphics card (EVGA 9800 GT) doesn't go over 50c even running WoW for a couple of hours - and that's with all 4 fans only on medium.

CPU (E8400) topped out at 41c, even with a bit of an overclock (3.6ghz I think), with the stock cooler.

I have about 3" between the end of my graphics cards & the rack for the hdd's.

Its great. I love this case so far.

Probably could get things a bit cooler once I spend some time getting all the cables into the cable management area, but I finished putting together at about 11:30pm and was sleepy :p

Thank you for the update.

Please keep us informed. It would be fun to follow your experience with this new devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back