Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is charging $20 to see your kill-death ratio in match

mongeese

Staff
WTF?! Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is now charging $20 for a ten-piece “cosmetic” pack containing a watch that tells players how many times they’ve died in-match, rather than in the post-game stats like usual. The feature arguably provides a tactical advantage to players that have it, violating the developers’ promise that “all functional content that has an impact on game balance, such as base weapons and attachments, can be unlocked simply by playing the game.”

Every CoD game until Modern Warfare gave players the option to see their kills, assists, and deaths during a match, and when Modern Warfare launched without a visible death count (in most modes) players immediately asked for it to be implemented. Paying $20 for it wasn’t what anyone had in mind.

Image via krzaqu on Reddit

Analyzing one’s kill-death ratio during a match can be pretty important. In Team Deathmatch, the team with the best kill-death ratio wins. If you go on a rampage and rack up a dozen kills you might think you’re doing well, but if you haven’t been paying attention to your deaths you might not realize that you need to play a little more cautiously to boost your ratio. It’s certainly not a major difference, and a thoughtful player should be aware enough anyway, but it certainly goes a little bit beyond being just cosmetic.

In most games, a cheeky but small pay-to-win element might go unnoticed but Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has otherwise been a shining beacon of what a game should be like. There are no loot boxes. You cannot spend money to boost stats. There is no costly DLC pack with new maps and content that the entire player base can’t access. Because of that, and general quality and gameplay, it made $600 million in its opening weekend and has been the best-selling game of the year.

Permalink to story.

LMAO I feel bad for people who bought into EA's greed.
edit : I know its Activision, but EA owns them too .
Edit : they both behave the same so I got confused >.< between Activision Blizzard and EA. thanks herpaderp for pointing it out.

Last edited:
Wow, so this cash cow is still bringing home the bacon? I remember when COD felt fresh and new, I had phone with buttons, a 6 pack and Manchester Utd were the best football team in England.

I don't really care about this, they can charge per reload for all I care, this game is done to me. I’m sure there are *****s out there still buying it and happy to pay for a visible KD ratio, they can fill EAs boots for all I care.

I'd rather have a meaningful paid large DLC with well thought out design than purely cosmetic mtx and trickle fed content. BFV and their live service is doing awful right now because they want to sell you a $12 cosmetic instead of a fat sweet map pack adding correct factions with believable cosmetics and not a wooden mermaid gun.

doNt sPliT tHe PlAyER BAsE!!11one!

I can't knock a good hustle. Kudos to Activision.
The majority of gamers/people are stupid, so I'm not surprised to hear about this.

Last edited:
Wow, so this cash cow is still bringing home the bacon? I remember when COD felt fresh and new, I had phone with buttons, a 6 pack and Manchester Utd were the best football team in England.

I don't really care about this, they can charge per reload for all I care, this game is done to me. I’m sure there are *****s out there still buying it and happy to pay for a visible KD ratio, they can fill EAs boots for all I care.
Well since Activision make the game, EA gets nothing.

I didn't spend a dime buying the game: It came with my 2080Ti Black...

And I won't spend a dime in-game for any reason.

You don't think a slice of that huge payment you made to them wasn't for the game? For all you know, it could have been $100 of it. Nothing is "free". Well, except the gift of salvation. :)

Can't you see your K/D at the end of every match? I guess I'm not "hardcore" enough to really care about my K/D in the middle of my matches? I guess charging for the watch might be okay, but at least allow people to see their K/D in the game stats window. It's always been like that.

Blame the people who pay it. Here's the thing: there has always been, and always will be, market powers that are perfectly willing to cash in on stupid, gullible humans. Fools created this void, and nature abhors a vacuum.

Back