1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Anyone Really Track My Phone’s Precise Location?

By learninmypc · 9 replies
Jan 18, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. It’s the year 2019, and everyone willingly carries a tracking device in their pockets. People can have their precise locations tracked in real time by the government, advertising companies, and even rogue bounty hunters. It sounds like dystopian fiction—but it’s a reality.

We like debunking sensationalist stories, but this latest controversy is true. Your phone’s precise location can be tracked in several different ways.FULL ARTICLE

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,742   +1,489

I have a senior citizen which I track in this manner -- notice -- with his consent.

So it's not some black-opts, nefarious activity (with the Find my Friends app).

learninmypc likes this.
  3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 8,726   +570

Thanks for chiming in. I saw this on my local news a few days ago & don't remember if it was at & t or t-mobile or ?? that was guilty of it. If I locate the story, I will post it.

4. learninmypc

5. GaryMove

GaryMove TS Enthusiast Posts: 166   +11

I am sure once you put SIM card in your phone they can easily find your exact location.

6. DLBU1

DLBU1 TS Rookie

Exactly. By your sim

7. GaryMove

GaryMove TS Enthusiast Posts: 166   +11

Your mobile operator can trace your location easily, your sim card has an option to provide them your location.

8. learninmypc

Ok, if no sim card

9. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,742   +1,489

then the device is not online and can not place calls

10. learninmypc

Now I'm confused, I have an android, no sim card yet I can do my email & watch my local news on it via their app.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...