Can anyone recommend a good alarm system?

Zen

Some people here might think this request to be silly or maybe even not really needed. But I've spent a while trying to search the Internet for a decent little alarm system for my new Veco electric scooter.

This is what I'm talking about wanting to alarm!

thevecox720scooter.jpg

I just need something that maybe detects vibration and would sound a little speaker thing that makes a loud sound. The scooter has it's own power to maybe connect an alarm to, it's supported by 4 matching 12V 30Ah batteries, which are fairly easy to access to maybe hook an alarms power cord or cable to.

It's just that I've noticed at a couple stores I parked this thing in front of, some people were getting a little to close to it, some within a couple feet of it, which made me a bit paranoid. I know this whole going green thing is fairly new to people, I know people might want to check out a totally electric vehicle and all, but I don't want to take any chances.

So if anyone out there has any suggestions, recommendations and such, please chime in and let me know !

"Thanks"!

Well thank you, I might have to research this alarm system, decent price, not to complicated to use, I might like it!

To be honest theres nothing stopping someone lifting the bike and that alarm in to the back of a van.

I think a good old fashioned chain and lampost would be more effective.

To be honest theres nothing stopping someone lifting the bike and that alarm in to the back of a van.

I read something about an alarm with motion sensors that rearms itself after 15 minutes. So loading it into a van could be very noisy.

You may be right, as a fall back idea, I'm thinking about maybe using a Kryptonite bike lock, the same lock that I used back in high school. I had a pimped out custom chrome molly Mongoose mountain bike and in all my 4 years of high school, my old bike with a Kryptonite lock never went anywhere. And as far as someone being able to throw my scooter into the back of a van, that may be a possibility, but the scooter weighs in just under 150 pounds and most likely would take approx. 2 people to do it. Plus they would have to lift it from where I parked it and carry it all the way to an awaiting van or pick up truck, for the scooter came stock with a mild or weak security system, it has a locking handlebar, when parked, you can turn the bar all the way to the left, use the ignition key and twist the key to the lock icon and the bar is locked, therefore no one can just kick it off it's stand and guide it to a vehicle. In the next couple days I'm going to scooter up to Radio Shack and see what they have to offer.

Don't use these locks, Unless they changed the design over the years, I can unlock them both within a minute or two.
ventura_230308-B.jpg
thumbnail.aspx

Don't use these locks, Unless they changed the design over the years, I can unlock them both within a minute or two.
ventura_230308-B.jpg
thumbnail.aspx

Oh no, this type of lock system your showing off here will 100% not be used! I remember way back to my Jr. High School days, where kids were popping these locks off bikes, like people pop gum! I've only seen and heard bad things with these locks and chains. But that image of the blue covered chain lock does bring back some memories!

I think the visual deterrent is probably 50% of the effectiveness.

The bear would work very well indeed if you can get hold of one :)

Get yourself a very strong chain LONG enough to go thru BOTH front & REAR rims & around the body of the motorbike & around a nearby light/telephone pole with a HARDENED lock.
It may cost a bit,but probably worth it.:)

That, or you could invest in a bed with higher feet, and stuff your bike underneath it. :p Just kidding.
But IMHO, Clifford's idea is worth consdering. You could get a surveillance system (a single camera with motion sensing probably) which will make hell of a noise if triggered. Be careful though. When I installed my surveillance system at my new home, the neighbours thought I was up to something, and always gave me a strange look. Haha.
How about a Batman-style security? Shock 'em!

That, or you could invest in a bed with higher feet, and stuff your bike underneath it. :p Just kidding.
But IMHO, Clifford's idea is worth consdering. You could get a surveillance system (a single camera with motion sensing probably) which will make hell of a noise if triggered. Be careful though. When I installed my surveillance system at my new home, the neighbours thought I was up to something, and always gave me a strange look. Haha.
How about a Batman-style security? Shock 'em!

So the neighbors thought you were up to something! Well that might be my case, for the neighbor that lives to my right is kind of a goofy whack job, he's a real conspiracy theory nut, he might think I'm trying to go all "big brother" on him by installing cameras. Now my neighbor that lives to my left, she might try to exploit things, she's a real attention seeking hog, she just might dance around her back yard, maybe even front yard even, in front of my video cameras naked, as to wanting to put on a good show and to get some attention! So I think the surveillance system thing is out. No real need for it really, when the scooter is home, I drive it into my living room when I get home, it's got it's own special corner, so with it being there I can keep a real good eye on it!

As far as Clifford's idea, it's a good one, which this evening, after it cools off outside, I'm going to scooter myself up to my local Ace Hardware and purchase a good thick rugged chain and a good key lock and use that for security when I'm on the town and need to park the thing somewhere.

"How about a Batman-style security? Shock 'em!".........:mad:

How about let's go Roger Moore on them, good ole 007, if you messed around with his old Lotus Esprit, the white one, it would engage it's self destruct and blow the bastards up!

I remember the BMW from Tomorrow Never Dies or The World Is Not Enough. The one with self inflateble tires and anti-burglar mechanism which gave the baddies a nasty shock. Hehe.
Back to the point. If it's in your house the chain is more than enough.

If it's in your house the chain is more than enough.

Well today me and the Veco hit the open road and scooted our way a couple miles out to an Ace Hardware and I went ahead and purchased both a lock and cable system.

The cable is made by Kyptonite.....
kryptonitecable.jpg

And the lock is made by Master Lock, it's designed to make it hard for people to try and cut the lock with bolt cutters!
masterlock.jpg

It's their model # 931, that has that hardened metal shroud built up around the lock, making it hard to get bolt cutters in there!

Not a bad deal, the lock ran me $29.99 and the cable set me back only $11.99, so for around $42.00 I have now gained a little peace of mind.

Back