Can DVD burner fail although CDs still write?

I've spent hours trying to get my DVD burner to write. I've done all the things suggested by Roxio and by HP, but it still will not burn video. Burns audio fine. Is it possible for a burner to fail this way??

Yep. Well at least I'd think so. Laser beams are different sizes for DVD and CD, so based on that I'd expect that one could fail without the other.

The good news is optical drives are incredibly cheap now.

Yep. Well at least I'd think so. Laser beams are different sizes for DVD and CD, so based on that I'd expect that one could fail without the other.
Indeed. Actually, the lasers for CD & DVD are different wavelengths. DVD being shorter, places the burning surface closer to the read side of the disc, while CD wavelength is closer to the label.

"Blu-Ray" derives its name from the extremely short wavelength blue laser used in its operation.

The shorter the wavelength of the laser, the less the divergence, and hence the more information can be placed within a given area.

And yes, DVD drives are so cheap, nobody should have a second thought, or any anxiety about replacing one.

@OP just check the buss mode before you go out and try buying a replacement. Is yours IDE or SATA?

OK, that's enough fan facts and statements about the, (perhaps), obvious for now.

We get these problems all the time with posters. Optical drives are so cheap now, that all these words seem unnecessary now

Back