Can I delete C:\Windows\Installer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habylab

I only ask because it takes up 6.8 gb! I could do with more space...
Can i delete C:\Windows\Installer?

Yes by using the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Once installed go to Start --> Run --> C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap G! -->OK
G! : For all users, removes any cached Windows Installer data files that have been orphaned.

Info about Msizap.exe is Here
But you don't need to download it seperately, to run the above

Warning:

Using this command can cause Windows to corrupt (requiring Re-install or Repair) See Here

The files in C:\windows\Installer are maintained to allow proper Uninstall from Add/Remove Programs.
Programs such as Symantec, may not be able to uninstalled effectively

Removing them may (and can) cause corruptions in future Updating specific installed programs.

You are highly advised to use Add/Remove programs before removing any part of the Windows Installer folder. Although this will not safe gaurd you from any Programs remaining installed.

At your risk!

When i type in that Run prompt you gave me, it doesn't work...
It says "C:\Program" is not recognized as an internal or external comand...

Start --> Run --> "C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" G! -->OK

Please try with the quotes in. Then a space. Then G!
Also stay with me on this, I have not done it before, but because you are determined, I'll probably learn something new here.

Also, you only need to reply here for me to know

Also stay with me on this, I have not done it before, but because you are determined, I'll probably learn something new here.
That's ok, that's how we learn.

If you do not want to continue to learn then stop. I will work this out on my own.
There are many switches to msizap.exe The switch I gave you, should have removed all the cached stuff (the doubled up stuff)

Have you tried a restart, and test the size again?

Edit: a lot is two words!

Msizap Syntax
Msizap uses the following syntax combinations:

To remove remnants of an active (incomplete) installation

msizap[P]

To remove data for a specified installation

msizap[T][P][W][G] PackageName | {ProductCode}

To remove all installation data

msizap*[W][!]ALLPRODUCTS

To give Administrators Full Control permission to installation data

msizapA[*][T][W][P] [PackageName | {ProductCode} | ALLPRODUCTS]

To display help

msizap/?

Notes

• When deleting objects that are unique in the system (such as the InProgress registry subkey or rollback data) or to change permissions, you do not need to specify an installation package.

• The package name, product code, or ALLPRODUCTS, if included, must be the last parameter in the command. Other parameters may be listed in any order.

• When using T, you must specify an installation by package name or product code. When using *, you must specify ALLPRODUCTS.

Parameters
Deletes all Windows Installer configuration data on the computer. ALLPRODUCTS is required when using *.This parameter deletes the folders, files, registry subkeys, and registry entries in which Windows Installer stores configuration data, including rollback data and the InProgress registry subkeys for each installation. It also stops the Windows Installer service, deletes published icons (icons that offer to install a program), and adjusts shared DLL counts.
!
Suppresses all confirmation messages.
A
Gives administrators Full Control permission to the folders, files, and registry subkeys specified by other parameters in the command. When combined with A, other parameters specify which object DACLs are changed; they do not direct Msizap to delete installation configuration data.
P
Deletes the InProgress registry subkey.This parameter deletes the subkey that indicates to Windows Installer that an installation is in progress:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgressWhile this subkey remains in the registry, Windows Installer will not install another program. Because Windows Installer deletes the InProgress subkey when an installation completes, this subkey is present only for an active installation.
S
Deletes rollback data.This parameter deletes the Rollback registry subkey (below), rollback scripts, and backup copies that enable Windows Installer to restore the computer to its original state when an installation stops before it is complete.HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\RollbackBecause Windows Installer automatically deletes rollback data when an installation completes, rollback data is present only for an active installation.
T
Deletes Windows Installer configuration data for a specified installation.This parameter deletes the folders, files, registry subkeys, and registry entries in which Windows Installer stores configuration data for the installation (except for rollback data and the InProgress registry subkey, which are specified separately). It also stops the Windows Installer service, deletes published icons (icons that offer to install a program), and adjusts shared DLL counts.
W
Extends the command to all user profiles. By default, Msizap deletes and changes user-specific data only for the current user.
G
Removes orphaned cached Windows Installer data files for all users.
?
Displays help.
PackageName | {ProductCode}
Specifies an installation as the target of the msizap command. Type the product code or the path and file name of the Windows Installer package file, such as: c:\ptree.msiIf you do not specify an installation, then msizap commands apply to all Windows Installer installations on the computer.
ALLPRODUCTS
Indicates all Windows Installer installations on the computer. ALLPRODUCTS is required when using *.

Sample Usage

msizap *! ALLPRODUCTS
msizap PS
msizap AT ptree.msi
msizap WTP MyPackage.msi
msizap TW {00000001-0001-0000-0000-624474736554}

I'll have to study what you have written... Just got back from Dark Knight, so I am confuzled...
So what other data can i safely remove then?

OMG!!!! With my dad's computer (Which i have posted about before) I have freed up 34gb!!!! Amazing, as long as you can assure me this is a.o.k, I will be cool with it.

as long as you can assure me this is a.o.k, I will be cool with it.
Oh alright then. If I need to repeat

It's Not a.o.k. ! Definately 100% Not a.o.k to remove anything in the Installer folder.
There you go, you are now fully assured of this.

Now to continue.
Try: msizap *! ALLPRODUCTS, i.e.:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" *! ALLPRODUCTS

By the way, to do all/any of this, you must be running it from an Administrator privlidged account. Check Control Panel Users, to confirm that you have Administrator rights.

Oh alright then. If I need to repeat

It's Not a.o.k. ! Definately 100% Not a.o.k to remove anything in the Installer folder.
There you go, you are now fully assured of this.

Now to continue.
Try: msizap *! ALLPRODUCTS, i.e.:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" *! ALLPRODUCTS

By the way, to do all/any of this, you must be running it from an Administrator privlidged account. Check Control Panel Users, to confirm that you have Administrator rights.
So... What are the consequences of doing this, in the sense of the first prompt you gave me? I thought it was safe. What has it changed?

Considering that Kimsland is willing to help, I will continue to experiment with him in this thread. Only safe ideas/instructions though.
I will post anything i have found out here in a separate post from now on.

I use that anyway. I used to have it on start-up, but now i just run it now and then. My computer is fine. My dad's has gone a bit funny. When it starts, it says it needs "ati2mtag.sys" and it has that, browse thingy. I don't know what has happened. But it is ok. I recommend the G! prompt. That worked fine.

He he, I like your New Speak learning.

I just want to reconfirm what you said.
The G! parameter now works ?
But didn't you say that it increased the size of the installer folder :confused:
Can you help me by explaining this more clearly?

Also that "ati2mtag.sys" startup issue, is just part of the computer's video driver: ATI RAGE 6 Miniport Driver (ati2mtag.Miniport])

Just do the following:

1. Uninstall the ATI drivers from Add/Remove programs in Control Panel (If you still can!)
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run Driver Sweeper*, select the drivers that you have uninstalled and click Clean button.
4. Install the new drivers.

* For Windows Vista users, please run Driver Sweeper in administrator mode.
Right mouse click Driver Sweeper shortcut and click Run as administrator.

To download and install Driver Sweeper, please click HERE. (direct link)
Save DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe file on the hard disk.
Run DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe.

The go to to ATI Drivers page and download the newest drivers for your Video card

You know talking about how to re-install your video card drivers is very annoying!
Seeming we are doing something on a much higher level

I just want to reconfirm what you said.
The G! parameter now works ?
But didn't you say that it increased the size of the installer folder :confused:
Can you help me by explaining this more clearly?

Also that "ati2mtag.sys" startup issue, is just part of the computer's video driver: ATI RAGE 6 Miniport Driver (ati2mtag.Miniport])

Just do the following:

1. Uninstall the ATI drivers from Add/Remove programs in Control Panel (If you still can!)
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run Driver Sweeper*, select the drivers that you have uninstalled and click Clean button.
4. Install the new drivers.

* For Windows Vista users, please run Driver Sweeper in administrator mode.
Right mouse click Driver Sweeper shortcut and click Run as administrator.

To download and install Driver Sweeper, please click HERE. (direct link)
Save DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe file on the hard disk.
Run DriverSweeper_1.5.5-setup-[Guru3D.com].exe.

The go to to ATI Drivers page and download the newest drivers for your Video card

You know talking about how to re-install your video card drivers is very annoying!
Seeming we are doing something on a much higher level

No, i didn't say it increased it decreased o my dads computer by 34gb!
About the Driver thing, I wasn't trying to install a new one or anything...

I said run: "C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" G!
You said:
Thank you SO MUCH!
Before hand : 17.1gb free
After :23.4gb THANKS A LOT!

There's a step in the middle here missing :confused:

I have freed up 34gb!!!! Amazing, as long as you can assure me this is a.o.k

What actually happened in the middle bit?
Which part removed all the files? (restarting?)

I meant i had 17.1gb free, then 23.4gb free, the G! did all that. and on my dad's computer the same.

Oh of course
You know I read it 3 times, but didn't get it till right now

You were probably wondering why I posted all that other stuff
I thought you were yelling at me (that I made more files for you)
So I posted all this other stuff (that was my little angry bit)

Very sorry about that
But at least I continued on. :)

Thanks Habylab, I ended up doing it too, because of our discussion

I hate all useless system files. Not that I normally recommend others to do this though.

Thanks for the update :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back