Can I Install both IE 8.0 and also keep IE 6.0 on Win XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgetok

Hi,

I am used to IE 6.0 in Win XP.

I have never used Vista so I am not familiar with IE 7.0 OR IE 8.0

So I would like to Practice IE 8.0 while keeping IE 6.0 on my Win XP PRO SP3 to see them side by side & get used to IE 8.0.

So question is, can I install IE 8.0 right now on my Win XP PRO SP3 without uninstalling IE 6. 0 ?

How do I do that ?

Right now my Windows update keeps bothering me about installing IE 8.0 & I am avoiding it.

If by mistake I end up saying OK, will it remove IE 6.0 & install IE 8.0 ?

Any & all help will be appreciated,

Thank You.

i use opera so i can install 2 different versions since i have an option of changing the directory.this is not the case with ie,since its basically a part of windows it will remove the old version and install in the same directory.
no point sticking to old version :p

Hey georgetok

You will not be able to run both IE 6 and IE 8 simultaneously. You should be able to pick up the new features of IE8 pretty quickly. Alternatively, if you'd like to keep IE6, you could try downloading Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera. They all work very well (better than IE8 in my opinion) and have the same type of features that IE8 offers. You do not want to be on IE6 much longer as support for it on many sites is being stopped. See this article .... http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/youtube-to-stop-ie6-support-616309 ....

Hope this helps :)

This should do the job: From Microsoft:

Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 8

Click on the word Toolkit above to link tot he download.

IF you are comfortable with IE6, keep it. Just be sure that Microsoft is still sending security updates for it. I don't know if there is an ending date for the support.

Many think that they are required to get updated versions of software. In most cases, they are not.

P.S. Hi spyder- haven't 'seen' you in a while!

Also keep in mind that there isn't a huge difference between IE6 & IE8. You can change the toolbars around to make them similar. If you like IE6, chances are you'll like IE8 also. If not, you can always go to the control panel and uninstall IE8, this will put IE6 back the way it was. Before doing any of that, I would strongly suggest backing up your favorites... :)

P.S. Hi spyder- haven't 'seen' you in a while!

Hey pal! Yea it's been a while lol .... been super busy with so many things .... usually only able to read some of the highlights or advertisements. Haven't been too much help lately :( .... soon though, hopefully.

P.S. OP (georgetok) .... Have you decided what to do yet?

Spyder_1386 :)

Why I need both IE6 and IE8

I have tried upgrading from IE6 to both IE7 and IE8. Neither work with the version of Oracle being used where I work. I know that it's probably a matter of a problem within Oracle but the company's attitude is that it works (with IE6). On the other hand I'm taking a remote class and the lecture video feed doesn't work in IE6. I hear sound and see the presentation slide but the camera video window is a mess. The school's IT staff recommends upgrading to IE7 or IE8.

Well doesn't IE8 offer a compatibility mode where it renders pages as IE6 would ? I know IE7 had that feature, would be a surprise if they decided to take out of the newest version.

Regarding IE8:
January 7, 2009 11:41 AM
IE8
........Neither Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i nor 12 have been certified with IE8 yet. Our latest tests of the IE8 Release Candidate drops have shown that there are a number of important compatibility issues that need to be resolved.

More on this HERE.

From Oracle Forum, May, 2009:
* OTM 5.5 is compatible with Internet Explorer (IE) Version 6.x and Version 7, Firefox 1.5.x. (Note - Dock Door functionality is not supported with IE 6.x)
* OTM 6.0 is compatible with Internet Explorer (IE) Version 7 and Firefox 2.x (Note: There are issues running Firefox 3.x with OTM so the 3.x
version will not be supported.)

And one members reply:
even though IE 8 isnt certified, it works very well with OTM and actually quicker then previous versions and FF (i guess it is because MS optimized the java engine in v. The one thing you'd need to do is to set IE8 to "Compatibility" mode (under "Extras")....

So Didou is pointing you in the right direction.

An option would be the Oracle Browser.

I was interesting about the same thing. On this pc i got multiple web exploreres, and IE6 is one of them. I use it rare but when i need it its better then IE7 and IE8 for me.

Speaking about IE8. I wouldnt say its better. For you see, i have tried it on one of mine PC, I would call that pc a trash cann, its not fast but its stable... I instaled on it Win7 and with it i got IE8. It was a bit unstable. Lagged time to time a lot, and so on. But the nice features like when i push on IE8 icon on task bar i can pick from any tab... its nice thing... So how good it is, is from person to person.

And responding to what was sad about Oracle... or whatever... I got similar situation at work. I got one toolbar, which is, bosses would say, important to have on PC, but if its active i cannt lunch IE8, even not in Safe Mode. I personaly blame microsoft for all problems i have in it. Well but thats not important.

Speaking about web explorere globaly... i sugest to install 2 or 3 on pc.... for you see, there is always some page tahts is shown better and faster is one exploere but slower or worse in other exploere. I personaly time to time open IE6 to open some page which not shown in mine corrent explorer, bt IE6 and newer wersions of it wont be good for mine regular use becsoeu i time to time use overr 50tabs/windows open.... and as we know with so much tabs/windows open IE would jsut crash and all opened pages lost...

sipols,
i time to time use overr 50tabs/windows open.... and as we know with so much tabs/windows open IE would jsut crash and all opened pages lost...
Wow! That's a lot going on! But if you used Firefox, you can "Save Session" and not lose a thing! But I have to ask> what would anyone want 50 tabs open at the same time? Or course it's going to crash- all the RAM has been used!

But don't blame Microsoft for this problem- look toward yourself. Did you know that you can set up different homepages, selecting different tabs to open on each? Or you can not have tabs pre-set, open IE, then add each tab as you need it.

My homepage in Firefox is set for 7 tabs. These are for sites I use every day, over and over. Depending on how the tabs are set up, you can open a new tab in the same windows or a new window. Suggest you get checked out on how best to use tabbed browsing.

By the way, I think the browser discussion involved Opera, not Oracle.
DEFINITION - Oracle (in ancient Greece, someone in touch with the deities; from Latin, oraculum or divine announcement) says it is the world's leading supplier of software for information management but it is best known for its sophisticated relational database products (notably Oracle9i), which are used in Fortune 1000 corporations and by many of the largest Web sites.

Opera is a web browser and internet suite developed by the Opera Software company.

Another option would be to create your own home page ( I have done this a long time ago) and have all the links you need on that page. 50 pages is definitely a lot to load,

That's what I did in Firefox, strategic. Definitely very convenient. I figured you would be able to do same in IE8.

Actually you can, (I just checked). It's as easy as exporting your bookmarks to HTML, and then that HTML page becomes your home page. That HTML file can be easily edited in MS Word or even Wordpad. If you really wanted to be enthusiastic, you can create icons for each link, possibilities are endless.

I am using already other then IE web browsers. I wont mention which one, sicne noone need to know it. And the one i use had handeled opened around 50 pages open for a month, and pc wasnt restarted in that time...
Firefox i dont like. Yes, its one of the best, and yes all add-ons make it more usefull then others, but i somehow never liked it. And btw Firefox is one of the rare broasers that can handle 50 opened tabs :D

50 tabs i had opened becosue i was searching lot of diferent info, about diferent topic. Its not like i am using 50web pages every day... it was jsut simply good suggestions/idead/tips about things i needed at that time...

About the opera and Oracle Bobbye: scrool a bit up. gtaylor sad he had problems with oracle and IE7 and IE8.... i mentioned that...

All i was saying was suggesting ppl to wich from IE to other browsers. As i sad some times one work better some times other one...

50 tabs i had opened becosue i was searching lot of diferent info, about diferent topic. Its not like i am using 50web pages every day... it was jsut simply good suggestions/idead/tips about things i needed at that time...

1. You don't have to like Firefox.
2. You don't have to use Firefox.
3. You can have multiple browsers of your choice on the system.
4. But no matter which one you're using, having 50 sites or pages up at the same time would indicate to me that you are uncertain as to how to focus on doing a good search.
  • Search for one topic at a time.
  • Close the site when you are finished.
  • IF you need to view more than one page at a time, set up the Tile feature, either horizontally or vertically. you will then be able to read all the contents. Right click on the Taskbar> check either 'tile horizontally' or 'tile vertically.
  • To save the site for further use, set up folders and sub-folders and save the URL in Favorites.
    '

Some browsers with tabs have add-ons that allow you to view all tabs.

TIP: Be sure to undo the tile before closing,

you didnt see the point, I had ti find info about a lot of diferent topic... and i had to remember that info... so only other option i could use in this case was make bookmark which i dont like. Searching througth multiple topic is something i do regulary so dont give me tips about it.

Whatever works for you.

However, asking for help and then being rude don't go together well.

... and if I recall, "sipols" isn't even the one who started this thread!
If I remember correctly, aren't you suppposed to start your own thread to minimize confusion between users?

Good point strategic. I count 8 different posters on this 2 month old thread!

Threads are left on the boards for reference in searching. some of us have asked that when the initial problem is resolved for the initial poster, that the threads be closed. That would leave the information available but prevent further posting.

Unfortunately the owner preferred not to do that- so we get constant "I have a problem just like that....." sometimes 2 or 3 years later!

Addressed to sipols:
i wasnt the one asking for help... i was one of those who gave suggestions to others.

This was addressed in Reply #21.

Let me rephrase that: whether asking or giving, rudeness is rudeness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back