Can I install the Geforce 6600 on my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazdude

ok, I did a post like this before about the radeon 9800, but now i want to know if the geforce 6600 will run on my system. here are some specs:

celeron d 2.93Ghz processor
512 MB DDR RAM
agp 1.5v slot
160 GB hardrive
350 Watt PSU
Windows XP media centre edition 2005

can't think of anything else to say but if u need to look at my motherboard more accurately here is a link thats wil take you to it:

http://www.asrock.com/product/product_775vm8.htm

(thanks to DonNagual for finding the link)

well, last time all you guys at techspot were a lot of help, I'm counting on all of you to help me out once more.

If that's indeed your mainboard, the 6600 or 6600GT will work just fine. The mainboard link you provided explains it's an AGP 8x mainboard.

yup, that's my motherboard alright, so you 100% sure it will work cause i told my dad and he said to write him down the video card i want to get so he'll look up prices on newegg. so are you sure I won't be dissapointed by haviong to find out the card can't be installed after i buy it?

It will indeed work with that mainboard, provided you get the AGP version (be sure NOT to get a PCI-Express or PCI-E version!).

Also, just because it will "work" doesn't necessarily mean all 3rd party manufacturers will be 100% compatible. You'll need to be sure you install the latest AGP/Chipset drivers, make sure you have DirectX 9.0c, and the latest drivers from NVidia... from there, you can only hope.

Some cheaper, lower-end, bargain manufacturers do have some compatibility issues with some mainboards and chipsets. Example- to get complete stability, you have to disable Fast Writes or reduce AGP speed down to 4x in the BIOS. This is uncommon, but can occur. AGP 8x/3.0 "compliance" doesn't mean much of anything if a board manufacturer cuts costs with the chips on the card or if your mainboard has a weak or similarly cheap voltage regulator (i.e. one that jumps around from 1.38v to 1.61v randomly), etc.etc.

The 6600GT AGP is made for an AGP 8x/4x mainboard. You have an AGP 8x mainboard. I'd look for a reputable manufacturer of the card (like Leadtek, Gainward, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc.etc.) for the best quality of components. Not all 6600GT's are made the same! The better the manufacturer, the better quality the memories, bridge chip, memory controller, rf filters, etc.etc.etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back