Can I install Win XP 32 bit on 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKLfarhang

I have a Dell Studio laptop I bought about a month ago. It has Windows 7 (64 bit) installed.
My 1 month experience Windows 7 has been horrible to say the least.

I was wondering if I could install a Windows XP 32bit on this?
Would it cause any problem? Any compatibility issues with anything like the processor or something like that?

Also does XP come in a 64 bit version at all?

Thanks alot... in advance

Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz
4GB RAM
500GB Hard disk
With 64 bit Windows 7 installed

Talk to Dell Tech Support, because what you don't want to do is void that Dell warranty.

If you have had it 30 days or less, Dell will take it back, and sell you what you need.

I have a Dell Studio laptop I bought about a month ago. It has Windows 7 (64 bit) installed.
My 1 month experience Windows 7 has been horrible to say the least.

I was wondering if I could install a Windows XP 32bit on this?
Would it cause any problem? Any compatibility issues with anything like the processor or something like that?

Also does XP come in a 64 bit version at all?
Yes XP comes in 64Bit as well. It has been reported as the most bothersome OS with many issues

You need to confirm if your new computer has support for XP drivers in the first place

What issues have you had with Windows 7 ?
Note Windows 7 is reported as the best Windows OS ever made, I tend to agree with them
The only issue I have seen for others is drivers (when updating an older machine) But yours does not fall into this category

You can contact Dell HERE, and ask if they can help you further
Note, they will likely sway you away from XP (and so they should)
It may sound a tad contradictory, but I'm using XP, but that's only because I can't afford a new computer

Ok there is some problem. The Dell support site shows that the laptop is not in warranty. I don't know why.

So I was still wondering if I could install a Windows XP 32bit on this? :p

Lots of issues.

Programs don't close properly. Movies don't work properly. A game which works fine on an XP machine with much lower configuration runs slow on my laptop.

I have to constantly open the task manager and end the process related to the program to shut it down.

Movies.. omg.. I don't even want to go there... but since you ask...
I play them on Windows media player and if I pause or forward them WMP stops responding...
So I tried Winamp... Winamps hangs frequently...
Also tried VLC, Real player... same thing...

For the video to work properly I restart the laptop and then play the it... works fine for some clips... but after some time it starts again... I have all the necessary codecs installed btw...

Sometimes I double click a program icon and nothing happens... absolutely nothing...

Firefox hangs... IE hangs I could go on..

Unreal Tournament 2003 which works perfectly on XP runs like I'm playing it in slow motion...

Would you believe I waited for Windows 7 to be launched before buying this... Because I've heard Vista is horrible... But I can't imagine Vista to be worse than this..
Man, to me it seems as if Microsoft have just paid attention to the looks and not the working...

It happened right now. I closed Firefox. But then remembered to post this reply too.
I double clicked Firefox icon... Nothing happened.
I had to open task manager and end the 2 firefox processes running and then double click the icon again... THEN it worked...

So as I told you I have to restart the comp... sometimes it doesn't restart... a message saying: waiting for explorer to play shut down sound comes up... I have to click 'force restart' button

btw I always have about 2-5 explorer.exe processes running...

And what if the scan reveals no contamination?

I'm no big fan of McAfee or Norton myself. I know how they hog resources.
But I really don't think I have any viruses right now. So why am I facing these problems?

Is it normal for more than 1 explorer.exe processes to run on Windows 7?
Why does explorer.exe hang? Almost 6 out of 10 times I shut down the computer, it says "Waiting for program to play shut down sound: explorer.exe"

Yesterday after I posted here, my screen saver stopped working for some reason. The laptop was on all night without the screen saver. lol

Do what Kimsland says, use antivir and cleanup your system (remove temp and temporary internet).

Having Two Explorer processes should not normally happen unless you have configured your system to run explorer in seperate windows or as a new process.

you have symptoms of Virus/malware infections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back