Can I mute speakers while recording the audio?

I am using my computers recorder to record audio that comes out of the speakers. It is a rather long recording. In order to be sure the volume of the recording is loud enough, the speakers need to be turned way up.

Is there a way to not hear it on the outside? Because there are other people around and they don't want to hear it.

Thanks for any help.

Just a thought: If I plug headphones into my computer would that do the trick?

I am using my computers recorder to record audio that comes out of the speakers. It is a rather long recording. In order to be sure the volume of the recording is loud enough, the speakers need to be turned way up.

Is there a way to not hear it on the outside? Because there are other people around and they don't want to hear it.

Thanks for any help.

I'd think you could crank it up as loud as needed but UNplug the speakers.
Ignore that. I mis read your post.

you are recording the audio emitted from your speakers? onto what, a cassette tape? just kidding.
I'm assuming you are trying to record a stream of something?

Thanks for any help.

Just a thought: If I plug headphones into my computer would that do the trick?

is the speakers connected to the PC itself for the recording? you might want to use certain hardware / software to ease on the process of recording. example scenarios:

- [PC] --- [Speakers] >>> [Mic] --- [PC]

You can use "what u hear" recording function in certain software. just for an example, if i'm recording my desktop movement with fraps, i literally do not even need to own a microphone and speakers. whatever plays in the computer will be recorded.

- [Audio devices] --- [Speakers] >>> [Mic] --- [PC]

You can connect the audio device to your PC line in port instantly using appropriate cables. If your pc does not have line-in, then you might want to connect it to microphone port itself. but it has to be tweaked so it doesn't distort and clip.

again, before we can give further recommendation, it will be good if we know exactly what kind of system you're running for the recording.

Back