Can I upgrade Vista Premium 32 bits PC to Windows 7 Premium 64 bits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Vista Premium 32 bits HP desktop. Will I be able to upgrade with Windows 7 premium 64 bits version? Is it OK to use the 64 bits OS on a 32 bits PC?

SoCal, if you have at least a Pentium 4 (or Athlon64) or better, you can likely run 64-bit no problem. However, to your basic question: Yes and No.
You can use the upgrade disc of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit to install Windows 7 if you currently have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. The problem lies in that since you are going from one bit-type to another, you will have to do a "custom install" or rather a clean install. You can only get an "In-Place" upgrade (which retains all your settings, programs and other stuff) if you are going from the same version (Home Premium to Home Premium, but not Ultimate to Professional) to the same bit-depth (32 to 32, but not 64 to 32 or 32 to 64). I know it is a bit confusing, but if you sit and look at it as you just have to go from the same format to the same format in order to get an in-place upgrade, then you'll see how it works. Otherwise, you can use the upgrade discs still to install, but you will have to end up doing a clean install where you will need to reinstall your applications and games, and copy back on your documents and music and such. If you need more information than that, you can always try asking over on Microsoft's official Windows 7 RC Support Forum

Thanks for the info.

My computer has AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core 2.5GHz processor. So I am planning to do a "clean install" of Windows 7 Premium 64 bits version replacing the Vista 32 bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back