Can no longer connect to the Internet

JBEEZY

I ran a boot time scan with Avast and once it had finished and my PC had restarted my connection was fine,but I could not connect to the internet? I have two computers,one laptop (which I am on right now) and a PC which are both using wireless. Can someone help me out please as I am clueless to what to do?

Is there anyone that can help? I'm pretty much stuck and no idea what happened or why. The little wireless icon in the corner says that I'm connected but it has a exclamation mark in a yellow triangle saying no internet/no network access. Don't know what to do.

This is a CMD report (Don't know what it is but someone suggested it)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\RaeJae>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::505d:1920:1037:529f%11
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.82.159
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter isatap.home:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

C:\Users\RaeJae>

OK, try this. (knowing your version of windows would help)

Clcik on Start and type cmd into the search box.

In Vista and Win7 then right click on cmd in the popup menu and select "Run as Administrator"
In XP just hit the Enter key.

Then type these two command exactly as typed here with the gap. Hit the Enter key after each one. Then try the connection again.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If this does not work please state your version of Windows for further assistance.

Thanks for replying. Okay I have Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit (Is that what you mean?) This is what happened after following your instructions.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while releasing interface Wireless Network Connection : The RP
C server is unavailable.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.
An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The sy
stem cannot find the file specified.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : The RPC
server is unavailable.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.
An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The sy
stem cannot find the file specified.

C:\Windows\system32>

can no longer connect to the internet

Can you try to go to DHCP service in control panel ..then .. administrative tool and then services and double DHCP services select automatic ,click start
to start the service if it s stopped
I hope this will work

Not sure what your Avast scan did, but it may have removed Malware that has damaged a registry entry. If the following does not work run Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free and tell me if it finds anything and also tell me if you have the Windows disc.

The router is not giving you an IP address. Try this.

Right click on the row of bars in the bottom right hand corner of the desktop. Select Network and Sharing Centre.

Click on Change Adaptor Settings in the left pane then you will see your Network adaptors, there is usually one for the wireless and one for the Ethernet cable connection. (Make sure there is no red cross on the wireless device, if there is right click on it and select enable, try the connection again. If it won't enable post back with any error message and check in Device Manager under Network Adapters to see if the device has a yellow warning next to it.)

Right click on the wireless adaptor and select Status. Under the Connection tab, check that "Connect Automatically when this network is in range" has a tick next to it. This should also list your SSID, the name assigned to the router.

Then (if you have security set on your router) click on the Security tab and make sure the settings match your security set up and the Network Security key has been entered, retype it in to be sure.

Close all the windows and try the connection again.

Also, looking back at the messages you got from using the ipconfig reset also check this.

Click on Start > Control Panel > Administritive Tools > Services (Not Component Services)

Look down the list in the right hand pane and find "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" it should be set to Automatic and Started. Don't confuse it with Remote Procedures Call (RPC) Locator.

If the RPC entry is missing or has not Started then tell me.

@quruneowla Tried what you suggested,the setting was already set to automatic. I unchecked the box then checked it again to set it to auto again but still no luck.

@Mark56 I also did everything you suggested with no luck. I checked my adapter under Device Manager settings,it is enabled and it also says 'This device is working properly'.

I checked that the device is set to connect automatically when in range and yes it displays the SSID name. I double checked the security and retyped the key in to be sure. But still no internet access.

I also went through Admin Tools > Services and checked the RPC. It was set to automatic and was started,still no internet access. Please don't say that my PC is no longer able to access internet anymore?

I'm not sure if still have the disc,when we bought it,it had came with Vista installed but I got a free upgrade disc to Windows 7.

Here is the Malware log report:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6780

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

9/06/2011 9:03:14 a.m.
mbam-log-2011-06-09 (09-03-14).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 207450
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

look at the output of IPCONFIG /ALL

see the
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::505d:1920:1037:529f%11
that's 99% incompatiable with our home routers

google for "windows disable IPv6" and apply the fix that is applicable to your system {XP, Vista, Win/1}

be sure to reboot after the change.

@jobeard I disabled IPv6 and rebooted but still no internet access. Do I need to undo any of the previous things I've done first? Why does it say connected but can't connect to internet?

Thank you guys for your help so far.

JEEBZY can you try some setting in windows firewall might be there some thing blocking internet access you can do this in advance setting or you can try first for a while by disabling firewall and try

also plz can u make sure that the DHCP CLIENT service s started bcz
i did ipconfig and give me the same err when my dhcp was disabled and stoped like this

Connection-specific DNS Suffix .

you can also check dhcp dependecies services

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RaeJae-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11 USB Wireless LAN Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-60-64-33-B6-BC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern
et NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-21-AB-33-D3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Windows\system32>

Check the wireless switch on the laptop is turned on.

This is now showing the wireless card is disconnected. Right click on the wireless icon in the bottom right hand corner and select Network and Sharing, then Change Adapter Settings, is it now showing a red cross on the wireless adapter?

If it is right click on it and select enable. Then clcik on Diagnose this connection in the taskbar near the top of the window, tell us what it says.

Can you tell us if this is an internal card or a USB dongle. The ipconfig above is now saying it's USB.

Also, can you download and run this, http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php you will have to use the other PC with internet connection and then transfer it with a CD or flash drive. Install the software and then run it, expand it to full screen and take a screen shot, then post it back as an attachment.

Can you also try connecting the laptop with a cable direct to the router and then see if the connection works. Do the ipconfig /all command and add that to your next post.

I think I have found the fix for this problem. For Jbeezy, I would go straight for the Winsock fix for your OS.

Sourced from this thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=k3v27t2ub16ovnotnaddsapc61&topic=65054.0

Disable Avast Web Shield or run these fixes.

For XP run WinSock fix http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

Winsock fix for Vista http://www.mydigitallife.info/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/

Winsock fix for Windows 7 http://windows7themes.net/winsock-fix-for-windows-7.html

@Mark 56 Sorry I think you're confused. The laptop I'm using and have been using is wireless internally,the one I've got the problem with since scanning with Avast is my PC which is using a wireless adapter. Both are connected to my wireless modem which is a Dynalink and have been/were going great until I did a boot time scan the other day on my PC,which has lead me to where I am now.

I disabled Avast shields plus the firewall and then did the winsock fix and still nothing. I also did the /flushdns and it said 'could not flush the DNS Reslover cache: Function failed during execution.

The previous post above is the ipconfig /all for my PC.

Thank you guys so much for continuing to help me out with this.

Yup, sorry mixed up with other threads but all the rest of my advise still applies.

Can you just confirm one thing, are you using a USB dongle or is this an internal card on the desktop. The first ipconfig says nothing about a USB wireless device but the last one suggests it is a USB device and Ipv4 is also missing after only disabling Ipv6 and it's listed as disconnected. Are the ipconfigs from different machines?

If it is a USB adapter then try it in the laptop after disabling the wireless card.

You could certainly try a System Restore.

@quruneowla Would that restore the trojan/virus that was on it before the Avast scan?

@Mark56 Yes it is a USB dongle I am using in my PC. I have ejected it and am using it in my laptop now in this reply and it is working fine,so does that mean the problem definitely is in my PC somewhere? No,those ip configurations are from the same machine,my PC. I have been following yours and everyones advice strictly before any further steps taken.

Just wondering would a restore put me back to where I was before the Avast scan meaning I'd have to scan the trojan/virus and remove from PC putting me back in the position I'm in?

I'm appreciative of all help as I am a total novice and have no idea whatsoever to what happened and why.

1)can u restore it to that point when it was infected

2)And also if u can have quick look b4 restore into the IE explorer or any other internet explorer that u have try go to Tools>options>network>setting> and select "no proxy" then click ok and try f this work

You never mentioned that Avast found a trojan infection, that explains all the problems, it has most likely corrupted several files and you could easily still be infected.

My advise now would be one of two things. You could take a chance that your PC is clean and do a Repair Install or take the "Better to be safe than sorry" route and open a new thread in the Malware forum.Just make sure you read the stickies at the top of the forum and post all the logs they ask for.

Well I wasn't sure if it was infected or not,I had done a Malwarebytes scan which came up 'no infected files',then a tfc which also came up 'no infected files' as my fortnightly cleaning schedule,and then when scheduled boot time scan with Avast ran and completed it was after that when I could no longer connect to the internet on it. Which is why I thought it may have had a virus.

Clearly there is no fault on the USB dongle it is the PC that has the problem.

When you mentioned having to scan again for Trojan/Virus in post 19 I assumed you new what it had found. Some Trojan infections can be very dangerous and can be difficult to detect even with more advanced Malware scanners. A Backdoor Trojan, for example, can send things like passwords for bank accounts back to the person that wrote the Malware. Avast may have a log of quarantined infections so you might be able to see what it found.

Malwarebytes is an excellent scanner but it can miss infections and TFC is only a temporary file cleaner it will not detect anything. The advanced scanners are OTL, DDS and GMER, all used by the experts in the Malware forum. Don't be tempted to look these up and try them out as you need the guidance of an expert or you may do more harm than good.

As you scan once a fortnight I would say it is a fairly safe bet that if you do a System Restore back to before the previous scan (two scans ago) then you should have a clean PC but there is no guarantee. Your other choice is to gamble on the possibility that there is no infection remaining and simply run a Repair Install from the OS disc to fix the damaged files (which you clearly have). Or, you get the PC checked in the Malware forum.

The only other option is to format the whole drive and do a clean install of the operating system.

The problem you had with the DNS Resolver cache was most probably caused by the service being turned off, it is not an essential service.

Thank you Mark for all your guidance.This might sound dumb and probably is but I tried to do a system restore and it couldn't because there are no restore points,and I'm not sure but should I have been creating them? reading your post about bank details etc I've just now gone into network sharing centre and disabled the USB dongle.

What would a repair install do? I guess what I'm asking is will it wipe all programs and files (Music,Videos,Photos etc) off my PC? I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get the internet working on it again but it's just that I use that computer mainly for music production as i am a beatmaker and recording artist and I really don't want to lose all my studio files etc And as you may tell I don't know much about the correct termanology and computer tech side of things etc

But I really appreciate all the help and hanging in there with me

Back