Can the GeForce 8400GS handle Left 4 Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just bought left for dead and i was woundering if a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI Graphics Card will run left for dead.

Yes it will run the game, however it is a low-end card so don't expect amazing things from it. Mess around with your settings/resolution to find the best results. And make sure you have the latest drivers for your card.

its a hp pavilion a450n

processor:intel(R) pentium(R) 4 cpu 3.00GHZ
hard drive:160 GB Ultra DMA(7200 rpm)
memory(ram): 1.50GB
ram installed:512 MB (1 x 512)
system type: 32-bite operating system
motherboard: ASUS P4SD-LA PES revision 0.01HP name: Oxford-UL6E

just look up hp pavilion a450n and it will tell you the specs for it.

No, you need to look up the specs for it. I have already linked you to two pieces of information you could easily have done yourself.

1. The power supply needs to be replaced with a good solid model at 400 watts of power; 350 might be okay.

2. To run XP for gaming the unwritten but proven rule is 2 gigs of RAM but if you add another gig you should be fine. According to what you did give us the maximum your motherboard will take is 1.5 gigs and as it stands now you only have 512 megs installed which is a third of your maximum.. The video card won't be enough here; your system needs more RAM.

3. This is an Asus motherboard. Find out from HP what make and type memory you can install for an upgrade but don't buy from them because they will charge you considerably more than what Newegg.com will charge. The same goes for the power supply but make sure it can fit your case.

Good luck.

Here is the website with your specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...235&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=392522

If I'm not mistaken your system can run up to 2GB's of memory and has one AGP slot / 3 x PCI slots. So you don't have a lot of options and as Route stated you probably want to update that power supply. Honestly your system is pretty much a half-decade old and by all means extremely dated. If you can save up for a new build that would be the BEST option for you.

Key question: Has anyone found the ideal driver for the NVIDEA GeFORECE 8400GS for L4D for Windows XP?

That cards was running L4D fine! Then they "upgraded" the game.

I got the "latest driver" which, of course, is always advised which downloaded and happily informed me that all that finding, downloading and installing were wasted as the installation FAILED.
Their *latest and greatest* just for my card! How ironic that it doesn't work at all.

So I guessed that was too fancy a driver... I notched back a bit.

Nvidea really has a great site for drivers. I picked a slightly older but obviously newer than the original card's driver came with. No luck. I really don't want to spend all day with trial and error.

Does anyone use this card for L4D with the below noted computer and which driver version do you have?

Here are the specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name Mine
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
System Model PC109A-ABA A630N
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 3.04, 7/5/2004

Total Physical Memory 3,072.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.39 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 4.84 GB

Name NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_06E4&SUBSYS_05CC10DE&REV_A1\4&28711406&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce 8400 GS, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
Installed Drivers nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version 6.14.12.5896

Thanks, fingers crossed that someone had a very similar problem.

ok thanks alot bc i just want to play left for dead on a BFG Geforce 8400GS on a 250w power supply.
Yes i had a 8400gs PCI card before, and yes it will run l4d with a 8400gs with your pentium 4. However, your CPU will be holding you back. So my advice, play at 1024x768 at least or 1280x1024 all low settings and it should be just fine.

As for drivers, i suggest you use the 175.80.

Key question: Has anyone found the ideal driver for the NVIDEA GeFORECE 8400GS for L4D for Windows XP?
Use the 175.80, i use them for my 8400gs and never had any issues with them whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back