Can you upgrade HDD to SSD in ThinkCenter Tinys?

Jskid

I'm looking into getting a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93P Tiny that has a hard drive. I'm wondering if it can be replaced by a (SATA) SSD? I'm not sure given the strange form factor. Any ideas how to find out?

I'm looking into getting a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93P Tiny that has a hard drive. I'm wondering if it can be replaced by a (SATA) SSD? I'm not sure given the strange form factor. Any ideas how to find out?
I searched the specs on this machine. The only spec that matters is this:

Bay and connectors..... 1 X 2 1/2

Which indicates it will accommodate a standard SATA III SSD.

Since it has only one drive slot available, be certain to buy an SSD large enough to satisfy your potential needs

2 1/2" SATA SSD, is a drop in replacement for a 2 1/2" HDD

Since it has only one drive slot available, be certain to buy an SSD large enough to satisfy your potential needs
This is an important point to consider. Fortunately 1TB SSD prices are a lot better these days:

120 maple dollars is pretty reasonable, although I’d personally pay 20 more for Samsung’s 860 EVO:

I’ve one of these in my machine for 3 years now and it’s performed flawlessly.

120 maple dollars is pretty reasonable, although I’d personally pay 20 more for Samsung’s 860 EVO:
Given the quality of Samsung's migration software, I don't actually consider them to really be more expensive than other brands. The ease of transfer, and savings in time and aggravation, is easily worth 20 bucks by itself. So, Samsung is always my recommendation as well.

An SSD will make a surprising difference even on a older machine (**) my internet clunker is an old G-41 w/ a Pentium E-6300, 800 Mhz RAM, and it's pretty darn lively by virtue of the SSD.
I’ve one of these in my machine for 3 years now and it’s performed flawlessly.
Funny story about converting to SSD. I built a new machine, with my last copy of Windows 7 Pro, Nothing special, mind you. Intel i5-6600 K, just boot me and let me use the IGP RAM, (2133 Mhz ?) Gigabyte Z170 micro board.

Anyway, I stuffed an old HDD (250 GB probably SATA 2), in it, with the idea of installing everything to it, transferring to SSD, and then throwing it on a shelf, should I ever have need of it.

Anyway, I got Windows and all my programs installed. Trouble is, Photoshop Elements (13), wouldn't launch. I figured I screwed up the install, and mused over whether or not to do it over. Finally I said, "what the hell", and decided to transfer the drive's content over to the SSD. (Samsung 250 GB 860 Evo). Fire it up, and lo and behold, PSE would launch in seconds. Up to that point, I never believed that an HDD, could actually "bottlemeck", a newer machine almost competently.

(**) I'm sure you're aware of most to all of this. I'm just adding a bit of color commentary. ;)

Last edited:
Back