Can you use this usb mouse on a desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tha General

8632072.jpg

Would it work on my dell desktop if i plug it in one of my usb ports?

What?

A retractable cord, USB mouse on a Desktop?

Why?

I'd say it would get in the way of your keyboard. Actually many (most) users have their Desktop PC under the desk! Therefore it really wouldn't work.

That mouse is intended for laptops in my view
Obviously it can be used on Desktops, but it's just not practical

Actually Tha General, I removed your link, and replaced it with a pic I found on Google image search.

Well it looked like, well it looked, well, like spam :confused:

Wait, why is everyone saying why would i want too lol?

I need a new mouse, a cheap one, so that mouse at that best buy location says its a Laptop mouse, so i figure its works on laptops. But kimsland, what do you mean it will get in the way? get in the way of what, my keyboard?

Obviously it depends on the location of your Desktop situated on your desk (not to mention the issue of the USB connection getting pulled out, being on some obscure angle)

But to answer your question (even though it's blatantly obvious)
Just go buy a normal every day optical USB mouse, from anywhere
To tell you the truth I prefer to buy them down at the local shop, I couldn't see someone purchasing a mouse online, unless it was one of those fangdangle gaming mice (that are way over-kill, in my opinion)

one added note:
Make sure your BIOS is set to enable USB compatibilty mode. This is required in order that your BIOS provides the USB interface until Windows actually starts up. Once Windows is started, it provides the USB interface.

Obviously it depends on the location of your Desktop situated on your desk (not to mention the issue of the USB connection getting pulled out, being on some obscure angle)
I have my setup like this:

Long wide white table ( 17inch CRT monitor in the middle of the table, keyboard is in front of the monitor ) to the right-> mouse pad and mouse . To the right of the mouse on the floor, my dell optiplex 210L desktop, its the book edition looking one so its on 2 phone books , so if buy this mouse, it should work out just fine, i just hope the cord is long.

To tell you the truth I prefer to buy them down at the local shop, I couldn't see someone purchasing a mouse online, unless it was one of those fangdangle gaming mice (that are way over-kill, in my opinion)
Um yes i am. Buying it tomorrow :)

one added note:
Make sure your BIOS is set to enable USB compatibilty mode. This is required in order that your BIOS provides the USB interface until Windows actually starts up. Once Windows is started, it provides the USB interface.
Yep :)

From the layout you have described, I would not recommend a retractable mouse cord (which are generally short in length)

These "retractable" mice are ideal on a laptop that is sitting flush on the desk.
And as I stated earlier can also pop out of the USB connection on the computer, due to being consistently pulled.

Just buy a standard every day mouse (stated a few times now)

Ok, thanks for the info. I plan to look around in best buy tomorrow to see what they have, so i will let you know what i bought sometime tomorrow.
peace :)

ok

I have about 10 mice sitting around (I really should get rid of them all, one day :D)

Anyway, after using so many mice over the years, my favorite is the Microsoft USB optical mouse. This is a genuine one, that's a bit heavier than the copied ones that you might find floating about in shops.

Anyway my real point is, when it comes down to it any mouse (that feels reasonably comfortable) will do. ;)

Lol, if your still going to buy one, don't buy that one. Buy one without a retractable cord. Yes, this one will work, but use it on a desktop only if it's the only mouse you have lying around.

Spyder_1386 :)

I seen those laser mouses, looks cool. But i just a normal red glowing compaq mouse for 9.99 :)

What ever works for you! (and your budget!)

btw.. periodically (like every few months, go in there with a Q-tip and get any dust out of the optical red beam) to keep mouse response at its best

I have a compaq mouse for my secondary Pentium III which i have been using for about 5 years now, works great. However, the one i just bought, i plan to replace that for my p3 and i am buying this tomorrow for my new rig now:

Dynex® - Optical Mouse

Best buy has one , black one, looks good too., price is 20 bucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back