Can your PC run Crysis 4? We'll find out eventually

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Crytek has officially announced Crysis 4. The reveal arrived soon after Crytek China posted an image online and confirmed the next title in the long-running franchise, which saw its last non-remastered entry in the series 9 years ago.

It appears that Crytek China accidentally (or not) confirmed Crysis 4’s existence ahead of time. Writing on Chinese social media site BillBilli, the translated text reads: “The ‘Crysis 4’ project is confirmed, opening a new nano battlefield! Follow @Crytek_Official, we will continue to update you with the latest news.”

With the cat out of bag, the official Crytek Twitter account tweeted, “It's time to join the journey and be the hero.” The post included a CGI video showing hints of the nanotechnology seen in the previous games, along with a distinct post-apocalyptic vibe

Also read: Can It Run Crysis? An Analysis of Why a 13-Year-Old Game Is Still Talked About

Sadly, there’s no word of a potential release date or even how far along the game is, but given the trailer, it appears to be quite early in the development process. Don’t be surprised if we learn more from Crytek soon.

While it’s been almost a decade since Crysis 3, remastered versions of the original trilogy have been released over the last couple of years. Reviews for the updated games were pretty mixed, but many fans believed their arrival hinted at a new entry in the series; it seems they were right.

An all-new Crysis game is definitely an exciting prospect. One can expect Crytek to keep with tradition and release something that pushes modern hardware to its limits, leading to an updated “but can it run Crysis 4” meme.

Permalink to story.

Crysis 4: because the GPU shortage just isn't bad enough

I was about to reply how game modders can usually get things done by forcing some of the features off so it runs on modest hardware but oh, Crytek just hates mods and would nuke them so nevermind: this is just D.O.A. before it even launches.

I'm surprised. Crytek had to shut down five studios after being unable to pay employees back in 2016, and they've made nothing new since then, just a few re-releases that didnt go over super well. Does anyone really want crysis 4 that badly?

The original game is the best. It took me sitting down and playing through Crysis and Crysis Warhead to understand why - but they truly RUINED Crysis by making the game about fighting boring aliens, rather than keeping it simple and making it a graphically gorgeous war against North Koreans.

Every single game on the market now has graphics exceeding the Crysis series. Far Cry 6, specifically. Battlefield 2042 even.

I don't think they are willing to offer a reboot that uses cutting edge techniques to make a game that only virtually the top 5% of the market can play at max settings. They want sales and profit and won't get it if they go that route.

My guess is, Crysis 4 will be a Console ported - available on PC game.

I might buy it if its a GPU melter. If its not and its just a really bland first person shooter like the remasters then I wont be buying it. I enjoyed Crysis 1 a bit on my ageing Radeon X800 XT rig at the time. But 2 and 3 were boring.

Right now Cyberpunk is the new Crysis. Its the game my rig has the toughest time running. I dont care if your PC can run Crysis, how many fps are you getting on Cyberpunk with RT on?

I might buy it if its a GPU melter. If its not and its just a really bland first person shooter like the remasters then I wont be buying it. I enjoyed Crysis 1 a bit on my ageing Radeon X800 XT rig at the time. But 2 and 3 were boring.

Right now Cyberpunk is the new Crysis. Its the game my rig has the toughest time running. I dont care if your PC can run Crysis, how many fps are you getting on Cyberpunk with RT on?
I care more about how much fun the game is; Cyberpunk is one of the most boring games I have had the misfortune to buy.

First impression was "this better not be another PC port".
Because didn't the 2nd and 3rd one play like they focused on console first?

Where I’m concerned, that title goes to Microsoft Flight Simulator. 3090 + 12900K + 64GB RAM and there are still places where I don’t hit my target framerate of 40 (40 v-sync works well on 120hz panel) on a 5120x1440 display (effectively 4K) and that title has no RT.

They fixed the crappy fps with cry engine years ago but If crysis 4 is a new version of cry engine, we'll see who knows

I played Crysis 1, warhead, 2, 3, and I'll play this one too most likely. They introduced a few 8K textures into the remastered titles, so maybe Crysis 4 it will be an 8K title with all 8K/12K textures. The game size will be humongous, but it will make it's name as a future-gen title as no GPU would be able to run it now or even when the upcoming GPUs (RTX 4000, AMD RX 7000, Intel) release. It will take a few years for GPUs to catch up then.

Where I’m concerned, that title goes to Microsoft Flight Simulator. 3090 + 12900K + 64GB RAM and there are still places where I don’t hit my target framerate of 40 (40 v-sync works well on 120hz panel) on a 5120x1440 display (effectively 4K) and that title has no RT.
Yeah I did try running that. Im able to get over 60 at 1440p with a 5800X and an RTX 2080 which makes it run smoother than Cyberpunk with RT (And DLSS) on, where I get about 50fps. I think Cyberpunk looks a lot nicer too and its not limited by single core CPU speed as much as Flight Simulator is.

But both games are good at bringing your system to its knees. Which I always like to do, even when my hardware is new. Its fun!

I care more about how much fun the game is; Cyberpunk is one of the most boring games I have had the misfortune to buy.
Oh thats unfortunate. I think its a good game and fully worthy of the awards it received last year and its high aggregate review scores.

Each to their own I guess.

This over-cliched remark has been going on for far too long that it had become revolting to repeat.

Now the question should be, can it have good gameplay? Instead of punishing the hardware for no reason?

All flash and no substance. Nowadays.

Yawn. Another day, another shooter. Not the best time to release something that has the reputation of requiring a NASA super computer...
Your obviously uninformed robot-post would be comical if it didn't also perpetuate the standard Crysis slander. For one thing, even modest systems would run it just fine at moderate settings. But screaming about its "requirements" for advanced settings made for a billion mouse-clicks and the oppo to rage against the highly anticipated AAA game. For another, the original game and its brethren remain a high-water mark in that genre, on all counts; most especially combat smoothness. I just wish for a Crysis 4 of equal quality... and have been waiting since 2008 for it.

Your obviously uninformed robot-post would be comical if it didn't also perpetuate the standard Crysis slander. For one thing, even modest systems would run it just fine at moderate settings. But screaming about its "requirements" for advanced settings made for a billion mouse-clicks and the oppo to rage against the highly anticipated AAA game. For another, the original game and its brethren remain a high-water mark in that genre, on all counts; most especially combat smoothness. I just wish for a Crysis 4 of equal quality... and have been waiting since 2008 for it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you’re reading a little too much into what I’m saying.

All I said was that I’m bored of AAA shooters and that demanding AAA games are going to have a bad time on PC (console version will obviously be okay) if things don’t improve soon. That’s it. If you’re hyped about it, then please don’t let my lack of enthusiasm bring you down!

All I said was that I’m bored of AAA shooters and that demanding AAA games are going to have a bad time on PC
No, that's not all you said. You repeated the damaging myth that Crysis required gigantic resources to run. That uber-pervasive slander (here you are with it 14 years later; and probably never played the game) seriously hurt this magnificent production which sold so few copies that Crytek switched to consoles. That's per Cevat Yerli. To me that was a huge loss in gaming.

No, that's not all you said. You repeated the damaging myth that Crysis required gigantic resources to run. That uber-pervasive slander (here you are with it 14 years later; and probably never played the game) seriously hurt this magnificent production which sold so few copies that Crytek switched to consoles. That's per Cevat Yerli. To me that was a huge loss in gaming.
Take a deep breath mate. Do you think it matters 14 years later that I make a passing reference to what has become a meme? The damage was done long time ago.

You’re right that I have never tried it. I believe I was heavily into WoW at the time and had a rather modest PC. Your precious was never a blip on my radar and I’m sure most of the games that are precious to me are of no interest to you. It is what it is. I’ve had games that I loved die and some of them suffered from poor unjustified or grossly exaggerated reputation, so I know the feeling. But life is too short for me to hold a grudge against those that may have contributed to an early demise of said games, especially over a decade later.

Anyway, I looked up benchmark articles from 2007 and they don’t exactly paint a pretty picture, so I see no reason to not believe the ‘myth’. Unless you have something solid to add (looked up Cevat Yerli and he seems to have a controversial reputation), I think it’s best that we just agree to disagree and not waste anymore time.

On an 8600 GTS even on medium settings the end battle of the original was a complete lagfest. I still enjoyed the game, but the aliens were annoying, I wish they come up with something better this time. I'm not going to buy this fourth one if it's like 2 and 3, I want the open ended design of the first, which we witness in the beginning of the game, that was great.

Last edited:
Do you think it matters 14 years later that I make a passing reference to what has become a meme? The damage was done long time ago.
Except now we maybe have a new one and you're already dragging out the old canard to badmouth it. That was your OP and what I object to.

Crysis was highly scalable and so far advanced that it was great at any video settings. Checking back now the first review I find is IGN which said "They’ve created some amazing technology that’s scalable enough that many gamers will be able to play it on some setting, even if it isn’t the best, and have a good amount of fun." Well, I had fun for years with a Geforce 7600GS 256MB.

And Cevat Yerli was the CEO and obviously knew what he was saying... you don't get to handwave his statements away with some muttering about him being "controversial".

Last edited:
I, for one, are looking forward to it.

Don't care about politics and who did what. I am too old for all that nonsense and just want the franchise to continue like many other games I love playing have.

Back