Cannot access Microsoft web sites Pressario M2000

Poppa Bear

Internet Explorer 8 is unable to access any Microsoft sites on my Presario M2000 laptop with Windows XP Home OEM OS + SP3. Most other sites can be accessed including Google, local bank, forums, etc.

Solutions tried to date:
  • Ran Avast AV, Malwarebytes & Super Antispyware.
  • Have accessed the net using a LAN ethernet cable and Bigpond ISP, and also via a dedicated wireless USB stick to Dodo ISP.
  • Tried Mozilla Firefox browser.
  • In IE ran Diagnose the connection problem.
  • In IE, Advanced Internet Options, restored Advanced Settings to default. Ditto for IE General settings.
  • Also in IE, added Microsoft sites to Trusted sites; and enabled various Active X options to run, etc.
  • Ran system file check witht the Run command: sfc /scannow
  • Ran a universal drivers disc for XP, Vista & Win7 and it showed all drivers were installed and up to date.
One other forum post found from Google suggested resetting MTU parameters, but I don't know how to do this.

Attached is a Hijackthis log.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• HiJackThis Log.txt
    5 KB · Views: 4
You would be best served by having an experienced friend or tech take a quick look.

I see nothing alarming in the HiJack This report. Your computer appears to be protected against infestations...

So it would be helpful to know your configuration: Hard drive, brand, size, and age, memory installed,

Have you tried using FireFox?

So it would be helpful to know your configuration: Hard drive, brand, size, and age, memory installed.
Thank you for your feedback.

1. HD is Fujitsu MHT2040ATPL,
2. Size 40GB.
3. Not sure of age as PC is 2nd hand. Probably the original so about 6 years old.
4. 250MB RAM

Have you tried using FireFox?
Yes. See the 3rd entry in my original post under "Solutions tried to date:".

Back