Cannot boot from CDROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoaky

Hi folks,
New to the forums I hope someone can help me out.
I am working on an old IBM Aptiva 2176 desktop (166Mhz , 40 GB HDD, 128 Mb ram)....for a friend and no matter what I do, I cannot boot from CDROM. Old CDROM was junk so........
I replaced CDROM with a new ASUS brand I had extra here at the house (never had been used) . Then I Reset BIOS to default which is Floppy,HDD,CDROM. If I try to change the boot order to CDROM first, all entries change to "not installed" I can set HDD to first boot but I cannot set floppy or CD to boot sequence. It is like I have no other drives installed I have to default BIOS again to re-set boot order to the above factory settings of Floppy.HDD then CDROM.
Did not try another IDE cable. Dont have an extra one and this is not my PC. I am working on it for a friend.
Really frustrating not being able to boot from CDROM. Cannot do a fresh install of XP or even boot a CD of Linux Ubuntu or Mandriva. Have only been able to install Windows 98se which only uses FAT32 and will only recognize 8GB of my HDD space If I try to install 2000 or XP it will not allow me to delete that partition and install 2000 or XP onto the 8GB partition leaving the rest of the HDD unused on a seperate partition. If I could boot from CDROM I should be able to format and partition entire HDD to NTFS. Then I could continue the install and all would be fine.
Note: I have NEVER had this much problem before and I have installed 98se,2000, XP , Vista,and several Linux distros on quite a few systems in the past.
Any other workarounds or suggestions?
Thanks for all your help

You said two conflicting things:
Then I Reset BIOS to default which is Floppy,HDD,CDROM
but I cannot set floppy or CD to boot sequence
Yes you can set floppy to to 1st boot, and therefore you can use a boot floppy with CD support.

But, if you just want CD first then:
Confirm CD is set to Master (little jumper on back of drive)
And HardDrive set to Slave (little jumper on back of drive)

Or put them both to CS (Cable Select)

Actually your best choice would be to grab another IDE cable (to make CD seperate)

Lastly you might want to try a bios update, but this can be critical on a old computer !

It is possible that you can not boot from a CD-Rom ecspecially on an older IBM (they always like to be different). When you default your Bios and boot from the Windows 98 disk (which should load CD-Rom driver) can you access the CD-Rom at that point? I mean, if you type d: enter and then dir, do you see files on the CD?
If not you have some type of hardware issue (drive, cable, controller). If you can, I think XP will load by typing d:setup.

Good luck and let us know your findings

I have tried that with no sucess.
I go to the "A" prompt,type d: enter and at the D: prompt I type setup and insert my legit XP CD and I get a message "This program cannot run in DOS mode"

HUH!!!! I have sucessfully installed XP on a low tech PC such as this with 128 ram and using one XP install cd. Ran fine using the XP setting for best performance.

FYI this PC we are talking about does have 98SE installed currently. I am just trying to get it to install XP. Not being able to boot install XP CD upon boot-up is the main problem. I can run install CD of XP after boot but if I choose "upgrade install" it will install XP on the FAT32 partition.8GB changing it to NTFS But leaving the rest of the HDD 32GB on a seperate partition. If I choose "New install" It will install XP on the same partiton along with 98SE and create a dual boot.!!!
I cannot delete the original 8GB FAT32 partion originally created when 98SE was installed when given the option while installing XP.

Understood. But the max allowable RAM this MOBO will accept is 128MB......Booo!!
Yes I agree this PC is a relic and if it were mine I would condsider two options.....door stop or boat anchor...lol
Thanks for the great info on Delpart. Looks like a really useful app!!
If all else fail on the XP install. I will remove HDD from this old PC put it in one of my other test PC's, do a freah install of XP on the HDD. Remove it from my test PC and re-install that HDD into the IBM and continue from there.

Doh!

That won't work

If the motherboard chipset is different (umm definately yes) then you will not be able to install Xp on one computer and return to the other.

Here's your option

Boot Floppy
Add Delpart
Boot off floppy
Remove all partitions

Download 6 floppy disks for Xp boot
Install Xp

That's it !

Sounds great but I dont have XP on floppies only CD and I have no blank Floppies to use.
So taking the HDD out of my target PC and installing XP on it on another PC and then removing the HDD with XP on it and replacing it into the target PC will not work huh?
Man...that just rules out my plan "B"
Cheers

No not Xp fully on floppy :)

Post 6 above (way up there ^^)
MS link to the free floppy disks !!

Then do my last post

Then about 2 hrs from now, reply back, with thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back