Cannot Change Admin Password on Windows Server 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekWannaBe

Hello All,

I'm not sure what to do.

I have a small office, I recently became an entrepreneur with a couple of partners. I'm the only somewhat tech guy around. So I have a Windows Server 2008 standard edition. I have an admin account and during the setup I was a little loose with the admin password because I was overseas while some work was being done in the office.

So our office is going live in a couple days and now I'm back and want to change the Admin password.

Whenever I go to change the password I get the message, "Windows cannot change the password."

I am following the correct complexity. I have three digits, five characters (which are not part of the user name), one capital, and one other (a.k.a $,!,@, etc), but no luck, I can't change the password, nor delete the password.

Furthermore, I checked the admin tools and changed the security settings to remove all the complexity: Admin Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Account Policy -> Password Policy.

I don't have a domain, just a workgroup because we are only 3 users, and will probably only add 1-2 more people. So I don't have Active Directory setup.

I thought I had a real simple configuration, the server simply hosts the accounting software, and is a file share as well. There's almost no software installed on the server, it's the most uncomplicated server ever.

Any ideas? When I google, EVERYTHING is about people who forgot their passwords and are trying to hack in to their server admin account. I can log in as the admin no problem, I can log in as myself on the server no problem, I just can't change the admin password, no matter what I do.

Any ideas?

Have you checked to see if the Administrator user has the ability to change the password. It's under the User and Groups in Computer Management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back