Cannot delete file

Status
Not open for further replies.

8eios

hello everyone,
i downloaded a file (.torrent) and i later deleted it. however an icon remains on my desktop and i cannot delete it in any way. the file appears as 0 bytes, has no security information, date of creation and modification are blank, and there are no previous versions available to restore. i downloaded lockhunter 64bit and when i select the file through "browse" it says "file not found". i also cannot rename the file so i created another one with the exact same name and pasted it there, that didn't work as well. i also used ccleaner just in case. any suggiestions would be highly appreciated as it is very annoying having a blank file sitting on your desktop. thanx very much in advance!

ps: i use windows 7 ultimate x64

If you can login with another admin account, that will be of great help; reboot and log-in using the administrator account; then you can manually erase that file, by:

1. Click on Start, Applications, Accessories, right click on Command prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.
2. Go to C:\users\yourusernamehere\desktop by typing ---==> CD C:\users\yourusernamehere\desktop
3. type --> Dir & hit enter, if you see the file in the list, simple use del command to do so.

I hope it will help you, if it works simply log out and log-in normally; and Good luck

how do i access desktop from cmd? cause i cannot switch to that folder.
i type c: and sends me to c:\windows\system32

I just edited my earlier post; look at step 2.

Remember usernamehere mean whatever user name you login with and see that icon on the desktop.

If the OS is preventing you from deleting a file, and you are sure it isn't a critical system file, there is a small utility called "MoveOnBoot". Start it, select the file you want deleted (or moved), OK the resulting prompt, and the next time the system starts this utility will delete (or move) the file before windows loads.

Emco MoveonBoot is a nice one in that respect; you may choose to have a look at it.

Edit:
Another method you may want to try is: on assumption that you are using XP; may be removing your iconcache.db will help, as it will force windows to recreate the icon cache. It is located in C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Local Settings\Application Data. You may have to set it attributes to unhide before removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back