Cannot Install Windows - PCI.SYS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched for this but nothing seems to help me. Because the easy fix for most people is to run the computer with ninimul hardware and it works. Now thats all find but i am getting this in a laptop. I am completely out of options and dont know what else to do. I get this blue screen at the same place as everyone else, right when the initial install says "Starting Windows".
And the HDD is so messed up now, i cant do anything. i tried just starting windows now, i get an error saying something about lsass.exe and the computer just restarts. i cant get into a prompt, i cant get to anywhere. SO my problem is this, its a laptop, cant just throw the HD in another computer, i cant boot from CD, give me PCI.SYS blue screen, and i cant just boot from HDD, problem with lsass.exe. I am lost. Any suggestions? The computer is a dell inspirion 1706 or something like that. hah, has plenty of room. has enough everything. just does not want to cooperate. Thanks in advance for any help.

It doesn't sound like you were attempting to reinstall Windows at all, is that what your goal is? Be aware that reinstalling Windows will result in the loss of any data you currently have on that HDD.

You can too boot of your CD drive. Next time you turn your laptop on take a look at the initial splash screen, you'll probably see a message about entering setup via a certain key (commonly F1, F2 or Delete). Tap that key and you'll enter the BIOS setup. Take a look around for something along the lines of "Boot Sequence" or "Boot Order" etc. Put your CD drive ahead of your HDD, and then with your Windows CD in the drive, reboot. You'll see a message during the booting process along the lines of "Tap any key to boot off CD...", tap any key and viola, you've booted off your Windows CD.

You can also remove your HDD, probably pretty easily as well (by removing one or two screws from the bottom of your laptop). Take a look at the service manual for your laptop on Dell's website.

I have...

Sorry i may not have explained it correctly. I have booted from the CD, and began the install (which is what i want to do, i have already backed up the pert. information on my external) and right after the initial load of the drivers, it says "starting windows" or "starting windows setup", then goes to the previously described blue screen.

After looking around for a little bit, it seems this is commonly solved by using a Windows XP CD that has SP2 (Service Pack 2) slipstreamed. Do you happen to know if your copy of Windows XP has SP2 integrated?

Try looking on the CD itself, perhaps it will say SP2 somewhere. If you don't have it slipstreamed, you might want to try that before trying to chase down hardware failure (which is the next likely suspect).

That's not the problem, per-say, but the solution to the problem in many cases it would appear. Try slipstreaming SP2 into XP and then reattempt the installation.

Here is a guide for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back